Filtration - Chemical, Mechanical, Biological - What is the Difference?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2012
Messages
11,636
Reaction score
1,059
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I always hear about 3 Types of Filtration.

1. Chemical
2. Mechanical
3. Biological

What are the differences between them?

Is one better than the others?
 
you need some sort of all three usually. chemical would be carbon or any other filter media that chemically takes out impurities. mechanical would be something that physically traps debris, like a filter pad. and biological is something that applies to the denitrification process, like live rock
 
I use mechanical (Socks) and biological (rock and sand). If I want to get the water really clear every so often I use chemical (carbon).
Really just depends on how you want to run your tank.
 
I use sponges (mechanical), live rock (biological) and purigen and denitrate (chemical).
 
All 3 methods are required for best results. I use chemical: reactor with chemipure-elite and denitrate. Mechanical: filter socks and sponge, protein skimmer, uv sterilizer. finally biological: live rock, and soon to be algae in refugium. The right combination will give you the best results. What you need is a consistent environment for the livestock. good luck....
 
I use all three in my sump.
Chemical: reactor with GFO and a bag of carbon.
Mechanical:filter socks and a protein skimmer.
Biological: live rock and cheato algae
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new