Filtration Media in Weir

kentperry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys

I am setting up a new tank (first in a good few years - 135g dt, 40g sump) and would like to know your thoughts on weirs. So the tank I have now is a Herbie style with a lower standpipe as the main drain (raised to about about 10 inches above the bottom of the tank) and a durso style as the emergency relief (about 1 inch below the Weir's comb).

Previously I would have packed my weir with different filter media as there was no standpipe and the water would just drain straight into the sump from a single pipe through the bottom of the weir via a bulkhead fitting.

Is there any point in putting media into the weir these days? And if I do, should I raise the media to be above the standpipe?

I'm thinking about dumping in ceramic rings, bio balls etc - just to provide extra media for bacteria but also in the weir that would be a great place for pods and brittle starts to grow. The minus is I don't know how much detritus usually sinks to the bottom of a Herbie style weir...

Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I probably wouldn't in order to maximize circulation and flow in the weir and prevent any detritus (etc.) buildup as you pointed out. If you have a 40 gallon sump you have more than enough room to place any ceramic media in there (I have a pair of 8x4x4 MarinePure bio blocks, 2 boxes of 1.5" bio spheres and 4 boxes of 0.5" hex media.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
you're better off adding any media to your sump. no real benefit to adding anything do your overflow and you're only adding potential blockage to your drain.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back