Filtration

xamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new to saltwater tanks and have a few questions about filtration.

I just recently converted my 20g tank from a freshwater to a saltwater tank. I still have a crummy power filter that came with the tank when I bought it. I recently bought an aquaticlife 24" t5 HO fixture and plan to grow zoanthids, mushrooms and soft corals. I also have a very deep sand-bed.

I've been to a lot of stores and talked to owners about filtration and have gotten a variety of responses. The responses included getting a power head for movement and:

1) Getting an additional power filter and filling one with live rock and the other with charcoal.

2) Getting a hang on protein skimmer.

3) Getting a canister filter with charcoal and other media.

I have considered getting a sump with a protein skimmer, although I am running on a budget. Which are good options for this zoanthid/ soft coral tank? Also, depending on the option you think is best, what are some good brands for that option?

OP
OP
X

xamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I've done a bunch of research but I don't know which would be best. If anyone has personal experiences or preferences for whatever reason it would be a great help in deciding what type of filtration system to use. Thanks!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any live rock in the system yet?
Also, do you plan on adding any inverts or fish?

OP
OP
X

xamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 25 lbs of live rock already in the tank. One of the rocks had 2 emerald crabs clinging on it, so I have those too. I plan on adding a few fish and inverts. Possibly a clown fish, a goby, and a couple damsel fish. As far as inverts, some hermit crabs and shrimp would be good for a later addition.

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the saltwater game myself and I've had a 20g display tank with a 10g sump up and running for a few months now. The sump holds live sand and live rock and some macroalgae, the live rock provides the filtration, I have no mechanical filtration what-so-ever. I also have a CPR bak pak skimmer being fed by a maxijet 1200 and a 1/15 hp chiller run with a maxijet 1200. My return pump from the sump to the display tank is a RIO 2500 I believe.

Currently I have 2 turbo snails, 5 or so hermit crabs and a few other assorted snails, 1 damsel, and I have 2 green hairy mushrooms, 3 nuclear green palys, a few cinnamon palys, and a colony of 60 or so zoa's.

OP
OP
X

xamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds pretty good, although I don't know if I have the money for all of that. What would be the essentials for a sump and how much would it all cost? I was looking for something that I could hang off the back of my tank, unless there's a cheap solution for getting a sump.

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
craigslist, that's where I've gotten most of my stuff. hang on the back (HOB) skimmers are okay, from what i hear aqua c remora's are the best but good luck finding one under $100 Seaclone's (Seaclown's) are OKAY at best. Everyone will say they're junk but with a few modification's I've gotten mine running like a champ, same with the CRP bak-pak.

For a sump you really only need a return pump, unless your tank isn't drilled then I'd suggest a small DIY overflow pipe. I've got one on my 125g freshwater predator tank and with the amount they consume and the amount of waste they produce it keeps the tank crystal clear compared to the two canister filter's I had on before.

HOB skimmer can go on the sump or you can get an in-sump protein skimmer but those can get pretty pricey and they need a little more room than a 10g tank.

I have a video of the DIY overflow here: jsavoyiv2008's Channel - YouTube

Good luck!
SmokeyCFH

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All a sump consists of is a external holding area (usually a tank) that holds some of your equipment (like a skimmer, heaters, carbon, refugium) and additional water. A sump is nice, but not always necessary. IMO, I would try to find a Skimmer that is good for your system, a power head for water movement and you'll be ok starting out. Between the live rock, sand bed, protein Skimmer, and good water movement, you'll be ok. This should be a good start. Again, just my .02 cents

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if you do choose a sump, and your tank isn't drilled, I can assist you with the PVC DIY overflow. I'm currently using 2 on my 125 for 2 years now.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the best filter is live thriving macro algae. Or any algae for that matter.

And best in some kind of refugium.

my .02

Back