Fin fracture or white spot ?

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this new baby foxface yesterday about 2-3 inches and today i noticed a white mark on his left pectoral fin. He definetly did not have the spot when i got him and it is huge for only a single day which is why im not sure if its white spot. This is the only mark on his body i dont notice any other tiny dots on him.

water salinity: 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
ph 7.9-8.0
kh 8
temp 25-26 Celsius

Its right on one of the pectoral fin "bones". He is eating fine and is swimming around the tank when i do feed him. He is stress coloured because of how close i am to the tank to take the picture, goes back to yellow when i move away. Please let me know what you think when i moved put him into the tank he did lie down on his side for 20 minutes or so im guessing from the stress of the move, could it have happened then ? or is this white spot and should i try to take him back. The third pic is from alittle farther away so you can really see how big of a spot it is, there is no way i would have missed that at the store. Have not seen him flash or scratch against anything , he isnt holding the fin in and is swimming fine with it. He sometimes attaches himself to rock when the lights are out or when he get his stress colours and tries to hide like in the third photo. No rapid breathing and his eyes appear clear, i dont wanna jump the gun on white spot because he isnt displaying the other signs of it and it just got so big in such a short amount of time , i will keep an eye on him and if it doesnt spread in the next day or two then i think i can be sure its not ich.

fin 1.jpg fin 2.jpg fin 3.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes - it could be a bruised fin ray. It is too large to be ich. It could also be the start of Lymphocystis, a virus that new marine fish often develop, where the virus causes the skin cells to grow giant-sized. It will go away on its own (but may get worse first) and it takes a month of so for it to fully heal.

That said - since the fish wasn't quarantined, you do need to keep an eye out for other issues. Ich will look like salt grain sized white spots that come and go and change location, but eventually becoming more numerous. Velvet causes rapid breathing and not eating. Flukes causes scratching and sometimes rapid breathing.

Jay

OP
OP
K

Keeper5221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for confirming what i thought about the fish, yes i understand and will keep an eye on the fish for any other signs of disease or strange behavior. I wish i had the space for a qt tank atm but hopefully in a couple months this tank will become a grow out/ qt tank to observe any new fish or coral for when i set up a 150 gallon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back