Fin rot. Bacterial issue with potters angel please help

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently my potters angel which has always been fat. And I mean fat. Is hanging at the top of the tank. He has some fin deterioration. Actually losing the dorsal fin. Loss of fin Getting worse over past days. Also under belly has loss of tissue . Water parameters are all good. All other fish good abs eating fin. He is not being Harassed by other fish. Tank is Sps dominated with angle fish and wrasses. Was going to hit tank with chemiclean which is used for Cyno but I believe is a antibiotic

E0D169ED-4D0E-4961-942D-7658007F60A2.jpeg 9D9A3114-D8BA-4690-BB3D-2E1C8C52D085.jpeg F4BDEC0C-C07A-456F-8DFB-4A2E6FE43602.jpeg A889BB9C-EFEE-44C5-96B3-1CA20CBC0754.jpeg 79421AA5-8CA8-46F9-B151-CF88C9F213EC.jpeg

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to say fish eating well. NOT eating fin. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, just seeing this now. This is a tough case. Most fin rot starts as damage from a net or another fish. Since that isn’t the case here, that means it is a primary bacterial infection, rare, but does happen.
The angel is more than fat, I wonder if it has fluid buildup (ascites) or edema. See how it is swollen in the belly under the gills? That isn’t normal fat deposition. I think the fish may have a systemic issue going on. Do you have a treatment tank?
Jay

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening. Jay. Thanks for the input. He is less bloated on front today. But the deterioration in the fin and Under section continue. I have a wrasse with an enlarged belly. I mean enlarged. I will try and post. Pic tomorrow of him. On the angel. My qt tank right now has some tang going through Cooper before gojng into display. If I set up another tank the wife will kill me. I have three Qt one for Frags. One for fish and one for inverts snails ect. That is why I was thinking chemiclean for DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening. Jay. Thanks for the input. He is less bloated on front today. But the deterioration in the fin and Under section continue. I have a wrasse with an enlarged belly. I mean enlarged. I will try and post. Pic tomorrow of him. On the angel. My qt tank right now has some tang going through Cooper before gojng into display. If I set up another tank the wife will kill me. I have three Qt one for Frags. One for fish and one for inverts snails ect. That is why I was thinking chemiclean for DT.

Well, the only treatment that I can offer without a treatment tank would be antibiotic dips daily. The trouble is, the potter's isn't going to take kindly to being caught up each day - I think it will just make matters worse.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the wrasse - internal infections are rarely contagious....

Jay

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply's all.. yep... before the issue with Hawaii I actually had a pair.. for some reason this one was always huge.. Jay are we in agreement then.. this looks to be bacterial? Ohh.. there is no way getting him out will be an easy one.. I have a few traps so I can get him out but.. there will not be in and out of the DT. I am contemplating putting him in the QT copper tank.. cleaning it up first. doing a huge water change and treating him in that 55QT. However, problem there is not so sure it is 100% ick free.. was QTing a hippo... as we know ick magnets... The hippo is still scratching with copper levels above 2.0 on a hanna ... he has been in there for 7 weeks arg.. sorry for diverging.... I might turn the hippo over to a local Fish store... I tend to think those always have ICK.. Just my 2 cents.. not looking to start a discussion on that... I had a pair of hippos for 20 plus years. loved them but they always showed signs of some ick... so bottom line.. will need to get the pottters caught and put in a QT/hospital tank with some anitbiotics.. no idea where this came from out of the blue.. only thought is some how introduced when I did some DR. Tim's waste away. I always wondered if opening a bottle of that stuff using it and then using it again month or so later was a bad idea because of possible growth in the bottle for bacteria ?

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this product over the years and found it very effective. You net out the fish and spinkle the powder on the site. Wait a few second for it to dry onto the wound and then return fish to tank. It stays on the fins for a few days and then falls off. Safe to use in DT if you don’t have a QT.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intersting.... thanks for the info... reef safe ? I assume some type of antibacteira paste...... still sold in stores... cant locate... thoughts

Last edited:
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is pic of my mystery wrasse. His belly has been like this few weeks after I got him over a year ago. Eats like a pig and no issues. Well except for the beer belly lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the reply's all.. yep... before the issue with Hawaii I actually had a pair.. for some reason this one was always huge.. Jay are we in agreement then.. this looks to be bacterial? Ohh.. there is no way getting him out will be an easy one.. I have a few traps so I can get him out but.. there will not be in and out of the DT. I am contemplating putting him in the QT copper tank.. cleaning it up first. doing a huge water change and treating him in that 55QT. However, problem there is not so sure it is 100% ick free.. was QTing a hippo... as we know ick magnets... The hippo is still scratching with copper levels above 2.0 on a hanna ... he has been in there for 7 weeks arg.. sorry for diverging.... I might turn the hippo over to a local Fish store... I tend to think those always have ICK.. Just my 2 cents.. not looking to start a discussion on that... I had a pair of hippos for 20 plus years. loved them but they always showed signs of some ick... so bottom line.. will need to get the pottters caught and put in a QT/hospital tank with some anitbiotics.. no idea where this came from out of the blue.. only thought is some how introduced when I did some DR. Tim's waste away. I always wondered if opening a bottle of that stuff using it and then using it again month or so later was a bad idea because of possible growth in the bottle for bacteria ?

I did do daily dips on a Tang before for an eye infection. I kept it in a large acclimation box in the DT to make catching for dips easy and quick. It does cause stress although the Tang made it through fine. I used Nitrofuracin for the antibiotic.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
intersting.... thanks for the info... reef safe ? I assume some type of antibacteira paste...... still sold in stores... cant locate... thoughts
Yes it is reef safe. Not sure if still available. Hikari Sales USA was selling it. Manufacturers: Aqua science Research Group I just called Hikari and was told that it is not on the market at this time, but they are awaiting government approval to again carry it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s is the fat wrasses.

Attachments

• 15F580CE-7856-4508-B209-BF51B0EE3A8A.jpeg
    15F580CE-7856-4508-B209-BF51B0EE3A8A.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 19
  • D497B6EB-4035-434D-94C5-04E708E84D9E.jpeg
    D497B6EB-4035-434D-94C5-04E708E84D9E.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep.. i was not sure what to make of it a year ago.. thought worms and more... just not sure.. he has done fine for over a year so I no longer worry..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As limited as gross visual symptoms are, yes, I think this is a bacterial infection….
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back