Fin rot?

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight I was feeding and I noticed some pieces of my tomini tangs fins gone. I took tests and here's what I'm at
Nitrate: 1.5 ppm
Calcium: 440 ppm
Salinity: 1.0236
Phosphate: .17
Alk: 8.7
Mag: 1500 ppm
Temp: 78.6

I noticed phosphate is getting high, could that be a factor?

The tang came from my friend who we moved most of the live stock into my tank. It's been about a month or a little bit less. The tang is super healthy other wise eating like normal, it is with two other tangs. They are in a 150 gal and already have been together way before I got them, I've seen zero aggression.
Something I need to worry about?

20230914_212535.jpg 20230914_212537.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So tonight I was feeding and I noticed some pieces of my tomini tangs fins gone. I took tests and here's what I'm at

The tang came from my friend who we moved most of the live stock into my tank. It's been about a month or a little bit less. The tang is super healthy other wise eating like normal, it is with two other tangs. They are in a 150 gal and already have been together way before I got them, I've seen zero aggression.

This is clearly aggression damage and likely from the sailfin who is the only monster in my tank with 25 tangs that does this

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is clearly aggression damage and likely from the sailfin who is the only monster in my tank with 25 tangs that does this
Really? Interesting. I haven't seen it myself but I did definitely think of it as a possibility, rather get the parameters and disease out of the way.
You think it's something I need to worry about? I'll watch of course but they are definitely both healthy at the time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, that looks like fish aggression. Probably the sailfin, but might be somebody else, depends on what other fish you have in there.

You likely will not see simple aggression actually happen - those could be from four or five bites, each one over in a second....and there are lots of seconds in a day! Sometimes, you can set your phone up to video the tank and then review the video to find the culprit, but even that may not catch them at it.

As long as it stops, you won't need to do anything. If the damage continues, you'll need to either remove this tang, or find the culprit and remove that. That's a scopas tang BTW.

Jay

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that looks like fish aggression. Probably the sailfin, but might be somebody else, depends on what other fish you have in there.

You likely will not see simple aggression actually happen - those could be from four or five bites, each one over in a second....and there are lots of seconds in a day! Sometimes, you can set your phone up to video the tank and then review the video to find the culprit, but even that may not catch them at it.

As long as it stops, you won't need to do anything. If the damage continues, you'll need to either remove this tang, or find the culprit and remove that. That's a scopas tang BTW.

Jay
Thank you for the information! And yeah you are right! It was given to me as a Tomini tang and I never questioned it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back