Finally got a DOS for AWC’s! Any tips or hints appreciated!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a long wait, DOS has arrived at my house! I’m reading through the directions and things seem pretty straightforward, but R2R members always seem to know tips that aren’t in the directions. I have a 40g breeder with a 20g sump. I have an Apex Jr with room for the module and a surge protector to plug it in. Any advice is truly appreciated!!!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only complaint about the way Neptune implements the AWC is that they program the right-hand pump to rotate counter-clockwise (reverse of normal direction) to drain water from the tank. While this functions perfectly fine day to day, it poses a problem when it comes time to calibrate the DOS or to prime the DOS lines, because both of those functions require the DOS head to rotate clockwise, but the way Neptune recommends connecting the tubing requires the pump to rotate counter-clockwise.

To get around this, I highly recommend ignoring Neptune initial setup instructions, which are shown here:
Neptune AWC.png

Instead, I recommend connecting the right side pump with the tubes reversed as follows:
Modified AWC.png

Once you have the tubing set up, run the DOS AWC Setup task in fusion. This will set up the programming for you.

Now modify the automatically created programming to change the Drain pump to "Add" instead of "Remove". This will allow the head to rotate clockwise during the AWC. Think of it as "Adding water to the drain" instead of "Removing water from the tank".

1501869878_ScreenShot2020-06-06at10_23_20AM.png.f01f1fcec017514427ca7b44202a788d.png

225032837_ScreenShot2020-06-06at10_23_45AM.thumb.png.0d93cd0ea07848e72b7eea47b69be9af.png

1620113060_ScreenShot2020-06-06at10_23_56AM.thumb.png.e3fbf9723b3d0b47a2f9232ad21f5879.png

Your AWC will still run properly, but the Drain pump (the right side pump) will rotate clockwise just like the Add pump on the left side. But when it comes time to calibrate or to prime the lines, the right-side pump will rotate clockwise like normal which still matches the orientation of your tubing, allowing you to run these functions without disconnecting and reconnecting the tubes.

I've been running my AWC like this for over 2 years with no problems, and on the occasions when I need to recalibrate or prime the lines, it saves me from the big headache of disconnecting and reconnecting the tubing.

I'm honestly not sure why Neptune chose this configuration, but I think my setup makes way more sense.

If you're new to the Apex, see my 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series for a lot more tips and examples: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only complaint about the way Neptune implements the AWC is that they program the right-hand pump to rotate counter-clockwise (reverse of normal direction) to drain water from the tank. While this functions perfectly fine day to day, it poses a problem when it comes time to calibrate the DOS or to prime the DOS lines, because both of those functions require the DOS head to rotate clockwise, but the way Neptune recommends connecting the tubing requires the pump to rotate counter-clockwise.

To get around this, I highly recommend ignoring Neptune initial setup instructions, which are shown here:
Neptune AWC.png

Instead, I recommend connecting the right side pump with the tubes reversed as follows:
Modified AWC.png

Once you have the tubing set up, run the DOS AWC Setup task in fusion. This will set up the programming for you.

Now modify the automatically created programming to change the Drain pump to "Add" instead of "Remove". This will allow the head to rotate clockwise during the AWC. Think of it as "Adding water to the drain" instead of "Removing water from the tank".

1501869878_ScreenShot2020-06-06at10_23_20AM.png.f01f1fcec017514427ca7b44202a788d.png

225032837_ScreenShot2020-06-06at10_23_45AM.thumb.png.0d93cd0ea07848e72b7eea47b69be9af.png

1620113060_ScreenShot2020-06-06at10_23_56AM.thumb.png.e3fbf9723b3d0b47a2f9232ad21f5879.png

Your AWC will still run properly, but the Drain pump (the right side pump) will rotate clockwise just like the Add pump on the left side. But when it comes time to calibrate or to prime the lines, the right-side pump will rotate clockwise like normal which still matches the orientation of your tubing, allowing you to run these functions without disconnecting and reconnecting the tubes.

I've been running my AWC like this for over 2 years with no problems, and on the occasions when I need to recalibrate or prime the lines, it saves me from the big headache of disconnecting and reconnecting the tubing.

I'm honestly not sure why Neptune chose this configuration, but I think my setup makes way more sense.

If you're new to the Apex, see my 8-part Apex Programming Tutorial series for a lot more tips and examples: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/
Thank you so much!!! I thought that part was confusing too. Plus I wish they had reversed the pumps to have the left remove and the right replace, because that‘s the direction most sumps flow. I really appreciate this!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neptune AWC.png

Modified AWC.png

[/QUOTE

Neptune AWC.png

Modified AWC.png

I‘ve had my trusty Apex jr for years now. The DOS is the last module I need. For my 40g, the Jr. has enough capability to run all my equipment.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!! I thought that part was confusing too. Plus I wish they had reversed the pumps to have the left remove and the right replace, because that‘s the direction most sumps flow. I really appreciate this!

There’s no reason you can’t switch it to have the left drain and the right fill. Just connect your tubes the way you want it and name the heads accordingly. The AWC Setup Task is just a quick way to set the initial programming, but you can alter it later to do whatever you like.

U

User1

View Badges

Neptune AWC.png

Modified AWC.png

Never knew this. Out of curiosity have you sent in a email to support and see what they say?

I do not do have AWC setup but have been thinking about it. Reading here, there, and then looking to see how I could possibly set it up based on my tanks location. Great post though because, well, I didn't know this :D

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew this. Out of curiosity have you sent in a email to support and see what they say?

I do not do have AWC setup but have been thinking about it. Reading here, there, and then looking to see how I could possibly set it up based on my tanks location. Great post though because, well, I didn't know this :D
I’ll keep you posted as I put it together. I’m sooo excited. I’ve been doing small daily water changes for months now and my tank has never looked better. But it will be so nice to have this done automatically from now on.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no reason you can’t switch it to have the left drain and the right fill. Just connect your tubes the way you want it and name the heads accordingly. The AWC Setup Task is just a quick way to set the initial programming, but you can alter it later to do whatever you like.
So the “add” label means what the pump will be pumping out of the right side of the individual pump right? So the waste water would be “add” to add waste water to the bucket, not the tank. And the new water would also be “add” from the reservoir to the tank (which is how it’s set up by Neptune). If I want left pump to remove old water and the right pump to add new water, I just make sure the tubing is set up to do that, then both pumps run clockwise. Is that what you’re saying?

block134

Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea to switch the pump direction in fusion, I will have to do that when I set mine up. Would anyone happen to know if there is a distance that the DOS can move water? I want to send my waste water to a drain but it is about 10 feet away.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that idea to switch the pump direction in fusion, I will have to do that when I set mine up. Would anyone happen to know if there is a distance that the DOS can move water? I want to send my waste water to a drain but it is about 10 feet away.

10 feet is no problem at all. It can pump UP 24ft, which means it can do quite a long distance horizontally :)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the “add” label means what the pump will be pumping out of the right side of the individual pump right? So the waste water would be “add” to add waste water to the bucket, not the tank. And the new water would also be “add” from the reservoir to the tank (which is how it’s set up by Neptune). If I want left pump to remove old water and the right pump to add new water, I just make sure the tubing is set up to do that, then both pumps run clockwise. Is that what you’re saying?

"Add" makes the pump head rotate clockwise (which is the normal direction as indicated by the In and Out arrows next to each tube connector) and "Remove" makes the head rotate counter-clockwise.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the directional thing was kinda weird but it isn't a big deal as long as you know that from the beginning. You just have to pay attention when configuring to make sure you are using the correct lines.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I programmed the whole thing and when it was time to come on, only the right pump started. I know both pumps work because I primed them. Here’s how I programmed them:
C9C35EB7-C369-475B-BD3D-7A2C7FB9C33B.png
7F284CFD-7537-4E41-84C3-C494B559A062.png

The first one takes out the old water and the second pumps in the new. I thought I had them programmed exactly the same, but the first one didn’t come on. Help!!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I turned the pumps from auto to on then back to auto. They both started working together. But I had it scheduled to change water for an hour and they were only on a few minutes. If I programmed it from 20:00 to 21:00, that means I want it to do the entire water change in one hour, right? I did turn both pumps off after the first one didn’t start. Since I did this during the time frame it was supposed to change the water, did I mess something up? I have no clue what just happened.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any fail safes built into the AWC like with trident automatic dosing?

I’m not sure. I followed the directions to a t. I updated the apex, calibrated both pumps, then set them up on Fusion.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I did different was make pump 1 for waste water. I set it for “add” because the water goes from the sump to the waste bucket. For the second pump, I also chose “add” so it wouldn’t run in reverse. The water runs from the fresh saltwater into the tank. During the time it was running, everything was pumping the way it was supposed to, just not long enough. Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now they’re back on. Very weird. My dashboard has “TBL” on each one. I don’t know what that means:
A78F8E23-8F4A-4391-B102-F47619D1B3F7.jpeg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal behaviour of the DOS pumps. They run for a period and then stop to allow the motors to cool down. When you program to change x litres in y minutes they will do that, but in fits and starts.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back