Finally got my first fish

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank finished it’s fishless cycle at three weeks but due to many different issues I was unable to get any fish and I was particularly having difficulty finding the black and white clown fish I wanted.

Then the planets aligned today and someone local needed to rehome a black and white Darwin and a Minnesota clown. So now I have these two beautiful fish in my tank. They also came with a red blood shrimp who is currently hiding behind the rocks. The fish have already eaten after only being in the tank an hour so that’s a good sign.

In a week or two I’d like to add another fish but not sure what yet. I have a 135litre tank. I want to add soft corals later when the tank is ready.

9DD72BC3-B3E1-4130-AA67-9EE2AD99D236.jpeg

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.
You could look at a fire fish or royal gramma. Sand sifting goby or something might be a good idea to keep the sand bed looking nice like that.
Maybe some cuc, hermits, snails etc

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.
You could look at a fire fish or royal gramma. Sand sifting goby or something might be a good idea to keep the sand bed looking nice like that.
Maybe some cuc, hermits, snails etc
I like the idea of a royal gramma but have read they can be a bit aggressive. I’m def getting some hermits and also a sea urchin.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I personally like wild type clowns best, but your Minnesota clown is a real beauty. My royal gramma was a little pushy, but it never got mean enough to even scare my clowns. They are great fish, and I cannot recommend them enough. You could also try an orchid dottyback or springeri damsel as a third fish.

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of a royal gramma but have read they can be a bit aggressive. I’m def getting some hermits and also a sea urchin.
Oh really I would have said the opposite about a royal gramma. Peaceful more on the shy side if anything.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I personally like wild type clowns best, but your Minnesota clown is a real beauty. My royal gramma was a little pushy, but it never got mean enough to even scare my clowns. They are great fish, and I cannot recommend them enough. You could also try an orchid dottyback or springeri damsel as a third fish.
I had initially wanted the standard orange as well as the black and white but this came up so I went for it. It also meant they were already paired so I didn’t have to worry about that. Some good recommendations thanks I’ll have a look.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really I would have said the opposite about a royal gramma. Peaceful more on the shy side if anything.
So strange how everyone has different experiences. I’ve currently got someone on another forum telling me my tank is ready for corals now.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank finished it’s fishless cycle at three weeks but due to many different issues I was unable to get any fish and I was particularly having difficulty finding the black and white clown fish I wanted.

Then the planets aligned today and someone local needed to rehome a black and white Darwin and a Minnesota clown. So now I have these two beautiful fish in my tank. They also came with a red blood shrimp who is currently hiding behind the rocks. The fish have already eaten after only being in the tank an hour so that’s a good sign.

In a week or two I’d like to add another fish but not sure what yet. I have a 135litre tank. I want to add soft corals later when the tank is ready.

9DD72BC3-B3E1-4130-AA67-9EE2AD99D236.jpeg
Looks great and off to a amazing start .
Now time to get some life on the rocks and sand before adding corals.

next fish ….. there are so many to think of .
Best way is to ask about different fish you want . Perhaps they are compatible .

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great and off to a amazing start .
Now time to get some life on the rocks and sand before adding corals.

next fish ….. there are so many to think of .
Best way is to ask about different fish you want . Perhaps they are compatible .
The tank is about to have an ugly stage so that will change the look a lot. It’s very white at the moment lol

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So strange how everyone has different experiences. I’ve currently got someone on another forum telling me my tank is ready for corals now.
Yeah haha you’ll get a lot of different opinions on keeping corals as well! If it was me I’d say you could start looking at some easier to keep corals. Maybe could look at some softies. But peoples opinions will always differ.

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you could look into some Live rock from Tampa bay saltwater they also have urchins and other critters at some nice prices.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally avoid the Gramma. I'm over Dottybacks in Nano tanks.

A Watchman Goby and Pistol pair are relatively Hardy! and fun to watch. Shrimp eats detritus in sand bed don't worry about "direct" feeding.

You could also get just a Goby.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah haha you’ll get a lot of different opinions on keeping corals as well! If it was me I’d say you could start looking at some easier to keep corals. Maybe could look at some softies. But peoples opinions will always differ.
Yeah I’ll see how I go with keeping the tank stable for a bit

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd personally avoid the Gramma. I'm over Dottybacks in Nano tanks.

A Watchman Goby and Pistol pair are relatively Hardy! and fun to watch. Shrimp eats detritus in sand bed don't worry about "direct" feeding.

You could also get just a Goby.
I’ve got a red blood shrimp so wouldn’t that fight with the pistol shrimp?

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah drat sorry about that , but if you can It really accelerates the process of the cycle if you can get some live rock or sand sponges and other nifty critters are a plus too.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difference of Opinions is what makes this hobby so appealing .

there are 1000’s of ways to end up at the same destination .

doesn’t mean the short cut is always the fastest

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first fish! I know how good that feels. My Royal Gramma was a jerk, and my clowns were EXTREMELY aggressive. If you plan on snails, I would skip the hermit crabs. My advice to you would be to go slow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back