Finally got the new scape done - how does it look?

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Would love some feedback on the rock scape I settled on for my new tank. (Finally got my 75 gallon set up after a couple months of procrastinating, lol). Excuse the cloudiness, still settling a bit from the new sand. The majority of rock, probably 3/4, was transferred over from my old tank (skip cycle for the win!) and I added a few new pieces to create the taller structure in the middle. My goal was to provide lots of hiding places for the fish as well as swim-throughs that my tangs seem to like. I left space between the rock and back glass so my more active fish can swim laps, and they've been doing just that, lol. Also my tomini chose a spot in the back as his cave (he's really shy). Since doing that, I see him a lot more out front
New Tank.jpg

Any suggestions on high-light corals that would do well near the top besides SPS? I'm not sure I'm ready to attempt that so I've so far just kept softies and LPS. I am planning to borrow a PAR meter sometime from my local reef club, but some ideas that people have had success with would be great. :)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the scape. You might want to try a couple easy and inexpensive sps like birdsnest and monti caps. I added those to my 32g Biocube with standard leds. After 8 months had to frag about half my birdsnest due to growth and my monti has grown over my frag and encrusted on the rock. A good way to start with sps.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new scape looks great! Did you use anything to bind the rocks?
Thank you! I created the big shelf on the left by binding 3 rocks with purple E-marco mortar, but everything else is just sort of "puzzle pieced" together. Wiggled them around until I was confident they wouldn't come apart and fall down. We even tried shaking the stand to see if anything would come loose, and it was solid. I hope I don't regret it - but I couldn't have glued/cemented those pieces and still fit through the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the scape. You might want to try a couple easy and inexpensive sps like birdsnest and monti caps. I added those to my 32g Biocube with standard leds. After 8 months had to frag about half my birdsnest due to growth and my monti has grown over my frag and encrusted on the rock. A good way to start with sps.
Thanks! And thank you for the recommendations - going to my local reef society's Fall fest this weekend and I know I could pick up frags of both of those. I may just do that and see how it goes. :)

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is intricate. Do you think there are enough hidey caves for your fish to bed down at night?
I believe so - I've been watching to see if any of the fish seem to be searching. So far, everyone looks to have found their own little place in the rocks. I do have a few silly fish that always choose odd sleeping spots: the clownfish always used to sleep squished between the front glass and the feeder, but in this tank they hover around the heater. The blennies sleep in the barnacles (though sometimes my fang blenny rolls himself up in my tangs' nori sheets, lol). And then there's the wrasse that sleeps in the sand. I haven't figured out where the baby yellow tang sleeps yet, but there are a couple good- sized caves and since the tomini always sleeps in one I'm guessing the yellow does as well. :)

I hope the fact that all of the fish are out and about more since the tank transfer means they have adequate hiding places, so feel confident exploring more!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! And thank you for the recommendations - going to my local reef society's Fall fest this weekend and I know I could pick up frags of both of those. I may just do that and see how it goes. :)
I wish you lived closer, I would give you a nice Frag of birdnest. I don’t know many local reefers tried to give some away but ended taking them to my local lfs for credit. Here is a picture of the original I bought, then later and after I fragged it. Good luck.
4A88F4D7-29EB-4C0F-9586-60EB07DD69BC.jpeg
60F663DB-C127-4ED9-9F82-1B3DFCA8D48A.jpeg
2CDC4B05-394B-4527-899B-35A6CA46A87E.jpeg
8DA0048C-BBD2-4EA8-8907-FB63D0DD1DB7.jpeg

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you lived closer, I would give you a nice Frag of birdnest. I don’t know many local reefers tried to give some away but ended taking them to my local lfs for credit. Here is a picture of the original I bought, then later and after I fragged it. Good luck.
4A88F4D7-29EB-4C0F-9586-60EB07DD69BC.jpeg
60F663DB-C127-4ED9-9F82-1B3DFCA8D48A.jpeg
2CDC4B05-394B-4527-899B-35A6CA46A87E.jpeg
8DA0048C-BBD2-4EA8-8907-FB63D0DD1DB7.jpeg
That's crazy how much that grew! I think birdsnest are really pretty. Definitely a bummer I can't pick up a frag from ya! I know one of the board members I'll see Saturday has some pocillopora frags and maybe birdsnest. She also has German blue digitata I believe... all for decent prices. I don't want to spend much on something that may end up not doing well in my tank. I'd be super excited if I could get some SPS to grow though.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few areas there that concern me. The top kinda arch looks a little precarious.
I see what you're saying - it looks more precarious than it actually is though, promise! I technically could go in with some glue and reinforce the connection points of the arches though. Just can't glue them to the big base rock or I'd never be able to get it out of the tank in a future move.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not feed a whole sheet of nori at one time, but the tank looks great!!
Thank you! I'm liking it so far, and it's unusual for me to not keep wanting to change things, lol.
The nori I typically buy is the Two Little Fishies sea veggies, which are pretty small sheets compared to others I've tried. Between my 2 tangs and my blenny, they finish 1 per day. If the sheets are larger I tear them in half. Do you mean that's too much to feed them, or because it takes them a few hours to eat it all, it's sitting in the tank too long? Considering I don't see them doing much algae cleanup on the rocks, maybe I should cut back on the seaweed? Only thing is my tomini has HLLE so I've been adding selcon and amin-omega to the nori, since he doesn't really eat mysis or anything else I could try to fortify with vitamins to help heal him.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me, I usually cut it down. I don't like food to be hanging around in the tank for a long period of time. Of course I have 6 tangs and my quarter sheet nori lasts about 5 minutes before they destroy it. A better option may be for you to take the same algae sheet and feed it say 2-3x a day instead of all at once so it isn't sitting in the tank all that time.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, I usually cut it down. I don't like food to be hanging around in the tank for a long period of time. Of course I have 6 tangs and my quarter sheet nori lasts about 5 minutes before they destroy it. A better option may be for you to take the same algae sheet and feed it say 2-3x a day instead of all at once so it isn't sitting in the tank all that time.
That's a good idea, I think I will split it up. :) It'll help keep it from getting so mushy that it gets all over by the end of the day too. Thanks!

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That top arch is too close to the water surface for anything to get any measurable growth. Hard to tell from the photo but worth considering.
Maybe I'll try something on the 2nd level down from the top and just have it grow up towards it instead of on top of it. I don't mind some bare rock showing here and there. :)

REAQUA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I created the big shelf on the left by binding 3 rocks with purple E-marco mortar, but everything else is just sort of "puzzle pieced" together. Wiggled them around until I was confident they wouldn't come apart and fall down. We even tried shaking the stand to see if anything would come loose, and it was solid. I hope I don't regret it - but I couldn't have glued/cemented those pieces and still fit through the top of the tank.
Great! Thanks for the reply. This gives me the confidence to use E-Marco when I reassemble my scape.

OP
OP
Sink_or_Swim

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thanks for the reply. This gives me the confidence to use E-Marco when I reassemble my scape.
Definitely! I love the stuff - it dries fairly quickly, so just mix up a little at a time. May have to get creative with ways to hold some rocks together as it dries, but once it does, it's solid. I got the purple because I have Caribsea LifeRock and it matched pretty well. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%

Back