Finally started a new tank

iwhati88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been about 15 years since I’ve been in the game. Hopefully I can start off everything right. Finally cured some of my old rock and added a couple pieces to my DT. I still need a better pump, another light and powerhead. I wanted a larger tank, but this will do for now. Slowly, but surely.

48D84994-C414-487F-BA0B-7AC318BEE0E8.jpeg

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been about 15 years since I’ve been in the game. Hopefully I can start off everything right. Finally cured some of my old rock and added a couple pieces to my DT. I still need a better pump, another light and powerhead. I wanted a larger tank, but this will do for now. Slowly, but surely.

48D84994-C414-487F-BA0B-7AC318BEE0E8.jpeg
Looks great!

OP
OP
I

iwhati88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!
Looks good so far!!
Any plans for the tank critter wise?
I currently have a blue tang and purple tang in a 10 Gallon QT tank. How long do you recommend them to stay in there? Also do you guys only Dip your coral or QT also?

Don’t mind the cup in the QT. I have to pick up some larger fittings.

679AECE8-EDCA-44B1-9531-9E39C6FE772F.jpeg

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a blue tang and purple tang in a 10 Gallon QT tank. How long do you recommend them to stay in there? Also do you guys only Dip your coral or QT also?

Don’t mind the cup in the QT. I have to pick up some larger fittings.

679AECE8-EDCA-44B1-9531-9E39C6FE772F.jpeg

I’m not too good with quarantine suggestions, so I’ll let someone else answer to a further (better) degree. However, I will say that I usually just observe my fish, but keep them in a separate tank for close to a month.

I also don’t dip or quarantine my corals. I think the practice of dipping has merit, I just haven’t gotten into the habit.

OP
OP
I

iwhati88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not too good with quarantine suggestions, so I’ll let someone else answer to a further (better) degree. However, I will say that I usually just observe my fish, but keep them in a separate tank for close to a month.

I also don’t dip or quarantine my corals. I think the practice of dipping has merit, I just haven’t gotten into the habit.

I’ve been dipping the few pieces I have and I would suggest it. I’ve noticed several parasites come off the items I purchased. It’s really easy. I’m just not sure if people QT there corals also.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dipping the few pieces I have and I would suggest it. I’ve noticed several parasites come off the items I purchased. It’s really easy. I’m just not sure if people QT there corals also.

I know some people do have separate quarantine systems for their corals. It’s not as common as the fish though from what I’ve seen. I think for a lot of hobbyists dipping is enough.
What do you dip with?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT everything these days. Lost a whole qt tank of fish from velvet a couple of months ago. At least it wasn't my display tank. I dip corals in Bayer and then they go into a qt for observation for 76 days. All inverts go into a qt tank for 76 days. Fish have their own qt for prophylactic treatment of copper and praziquantel. Velvet is rampant in the hobby these days - yikes! Takes a lot of patience to put together and maintain a good tank with all this going on. :eek:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know some people do have separate quarantine systems for their corals. It’s not as common as the fish though from what I’ve seen. I think for a lot of hobbyists dipping is enough.
What do you dip with?
Bayer works the best and is the least harsh on corals. BRS has a video on dipping with a variety of agents. Hope this helps. Cheers!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is remember the past;) use 3/4 of the past and 1/4 of the future. The new toys are unbelievable and topnotch with testing, lighting, pumps, but all comes down to the basics;) Glad to see you back in the game.:) I took a 15 year break and was astounded at what change have happen. Look at lighting and chemistry for the starting points;)

OP
OP
I

iwhati88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you dip with?
I used a local shops ME coral dip and now use Coral RX.

OP
OP
I

iwhati88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple pieces of new equipment. I’m still in need of more items.

39E60F31-97DA-427A-AC5F-9269FB9DE6C4.jpeg

OP
OP
I

iwhati88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to go with a xr30w Pro instead of two Kessil’s.

650bdc426eb7f58682f5fb11f0b59c2f.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back