Financing hardware through waterboxaquariums.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to buy an ai prime hd for my nano 10g because the light that comes on the fusion 10g kit does not suit my needs. Waterbox aquariums has the prime for 209 and financing options. I dont want to cough up the money all up front and would like to finance, is this a good option or should I avoid doing this?

You just missed Marine Depo’s no apr on any AI prouduct. Had 3,6,12 mos no Intrest. Some people hate them but I got my reefer that way and paid it off in 6 mos with no interest no issues. Keep checking with MD they usually have one company up for 0APR all the time. Even if you did the regular finance you only pay about 30.00 intrest over a year. Like I said some people have a burning hate for the Affirm option but just be responsible and if the extra in intrest is worth it then who cares what others say.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used affirm through marine depot before for an Apex. Probably the same deal, maybe even the same bank that owns/funds them.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never, ever finance a pet or pet supplies. If you don't have the money for the pet to pay cash you can't afford the pet.

You can say that about pretty much anything though. Can’t afford to buy a TV outright? Don’t. Car? Don’t. I have multiple thousands or dollars invested in my big tank. If my radions failed and I didn’t have 1k burning a hole in my pockets, you better believe I would finance 1k in lights as opposed to killing all of my livestock.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be careful with Bread and Affirm. If you do research on credit forums you will see that they are being tagged as a CFA (consumer financing account) which is an invisible metric in your credit portfolio that lenders see. It basically screams "high-risk borrower" because CFAs are traditionally viewed as last option financing choices. I'm overgeneralizing but CFAs are used by people who are living pay check to pay check and can't secure traditional funding or lack the ability to save.

No judgement @ OP. Just telling you to research this information as CFAs stay on your credit report for a long time.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be careful with Bread and Affirm. If you do research on credit forums you will see that they are being tagged as a CFA (consumer financing account) which is an invisible metric in your credit portfolio that lenders see. It basically screams "high-risk borrower" because CFAs are traditionally viewed as last option financing choices. I'm overgeneralizing but CFAs are used by people who are living pay check to pay check and can't secure traditional funding or lack the ability to save.

No judgement @ OP. Just telling you to research this information as CFAs stay on your credit report for a long time.
So would you think this shows as a line of credit that could harm my score?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The financing company should be able to explain how they report the loan to credit reporting agencies. It may be in the financing agreement as well.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All new lines of credit lower your score to some extent. If you have an overall good credit profile this one account is most likely not going to break you or cause any serious harm. However, if you get a few of them they can be detrimental and create a glass ceiling of sort on your score. Please do a little independent research on a credit related forum for info on CFAs. If bread isn't giving you good Google results try affirm as it's the same vein.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The financing company should be able to explain how they report the loan to credit reporting agencies. It may be in the financing agreement as well.
This is true but unfortunately Fico sets the standards for credit scores routinely used by lenders and their inhouse scoring model can tag something as a CFA even if the company doing the reporting is listing it as an installment loan.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can say that about pretty much anything though. Can’t afford to buy a TV outright? Don’t. Car? Don’t. I have multiple thousands or dollars invested in my big tank. If my radions failed and I didn’t have 1k burning a hole in my pockets, you better believe I would finance 1k in lights as opposed to killing all of my livestock.

Your argument seems little bit of a hyperbole and a bit of a tangent. I agree that you should pay cash for a TV, not a necessarily for car though. Upgrading my lights? Cash. Emergency replacement of broken light(s)? Finance.

I went through some bad financial mistakes so I lean less on credit than I did in the past. To the OP: ideally ripping the bandaid off and paying cash is ideal, even if upgrading the lights one tank at a time. It is one and done without worrying about credit score impacts or life events becoming a higher priority. Also, they might be available in the used market for some savings as well.

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your argument seems little bit of a hyperbole and a bit of a tangent. I agree that you should pay cash for a TV, not a necessarily for car though. Upgrading my lights? Cash. Emergency replacement of broken light(s)? Finance.

I went through some bad financial mistakes so I lean less on credit than I did in the past. To the OP: ideally ripping the bandaid off and paying cash is ideal, even if upgrading the lights one tank at a time. It is one and done without worrying about credit score impacts or life events becoming a higher priority. Also, they might be available in the used market for some savings as well.
True, but I read as the OP asking if anyone had any experience with the finance company, not pros and cons of whether he should finance the lights. Either way, I should have probably stayed on topic.

Last edited:

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have the funds but my credit score is in repair mode. I have a separate checking account that I put the money that I am gonna spend In and finance ( ONLY if APR is low or 0) and direct deposit the payments at 20% over min. My mother n law has been a loan officer for 22 years and swears it’s the key to big jumps on Score ( debt to income not so much) and it’s got to be working cause I have had an 80 point jump in a little over a year. Just got to not get greedy and only get the good deals.

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A high credit score is not a good thing either. All it means is that you are profitable for the banks.

That is why some credit card companies will penalize you for buying tires at walmart and paying it off early. Think about that.

All banking is a money from nothing scheme that is bad for the economy, that is why they are regulated by the "fed".

How come when you take money from a bank it's called "borrowing" or "lending", yet when you give money to the bank at a lower interest rate they call it "saving" or "investing"?

They want you to do without your real cash money by "saving" at 2%, then they will turn around and lend that money it to your family member at 19%. I would rather give my money directly to a family member, or throw it in the wind.

This is a cold bucket of water I know, I just wanted to express my disdain for the banking industry. Never trust any advice from anyone in that industry. People don't like car salesman somewhat undeserved at times however banksters are outright bandits. All of them, all of the time.

Financiers have ruined the housing market for future generations, made it difficult for small blue collar workers to compete against workers in other countries that don't have to deal with the same inflation.

I am not in finance but encountered a few individuals who are pretty serious into it. It is not what you think. These guys pool tens of millions of dollars together and can legally control markets. If you ask them for advice and they like you, they will say don't bother. Stock market is just like blackjack, few lucky winners, aggregate losers.

Even the *** ***** and similar travel points systems are not what you think. I thought OK it's a bit of a nonsense, they give you back a bit of interest in exchange for some junk, in hopes that you spend more to get more points but that isn't it at all.

It was explained to me by the owners of the company that own *** *****, that it was created to harvest information about you and your shopping habits, they in turn sell your information about your spending habits, credit rating etc. to advertisers or anyone interested. This has been going on long before facebook, and people unwittingly give up a lot of privacy in exchange for a pair of binoculars.

I am not passing judgement, I live in a society where friends and family are credit dependent. You basically can't have a home without it. It's hard to live without credit, but then again I think of all the extra work, fuel and food it takes to make money to pay interest, so I guess it's actually easier to not have credit in the end if you can some how figure it out.

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same, in this case we are talking about another LIFE. Dog, Cat, Fish... Whatever... That life is now dependent on YOU to provide for it. If you over extend your pocket book with excessive use of credit and can't afford food for the pet then that's an issue. Not saying the OP can't afford or budget.. But this is another life we are talking about. Not a TV. JMHO

Lance M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really going to go in to the whether you should or shouldn't, I'd also agree with the use Paypal credit. I use it all the time for 0% for 6 months. Same with Amazon, its just set to do that for any orders over $100.

But to your question, although not aquarium related, my other hobby, I am using Bread for 0% for 12 months to pay for my wheels/tires setup (Ravspec uses Bread, Work Kiwami's w/ Michelins) just because. Easy log in and all I did was set up an auto pay. I haven't had any issues with them.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back