Finding Alk potency

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Im going to switch from 2 part to a Ca reactor. Brs suggests using a test kit and diluting the Alk 2 part to then use tge JDeik calculator. Thats fine except I diluted my Alk buffer 10 to 1 and still it was way, way too concentrated for my test kit to measure. Can I estimate its potency in another way? Ph meter, refractometer, salinity probe? Anything? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Im going to switch from 2 part to a Ca reactor. Brs suggests using a test kit and diluting the Alk 2 part to then use tge JDeik calculator. Thats fine except I diluted my Alk buffer 10 to 1 and still it was way, way too concentrated for my test kit to measure. Can I estimate its potency in another way? Ph meter, refractometer, salinity probe? Anything? Thanks

Can you back up and explain the purpose and which two part you are referring to

I know the potency of the BRS two part.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a SR soda ash, mixed 400g of soda ash in almost 1 gallon of RO/DI water to make 1 gallon total of buffer solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a SR soda ash, mixed 400g of soda ash in almost 1 gallon of RO/DI water to make 1 gallon total of buffer solution.

That is a little stronger than the normal BRS recipe (which is my DIY recipe #1).

Assuming the 400 g is anhydrous sodium carbonate, the potency is 2,000 meq/L or 5583 dKH.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 86 54.1%
  • NO

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back