Finding the right light for my WB 3620 Peninsula

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my WB 3620 Peninsula setup for a few months now and I'm in search of the 'perfect' light. I'm looking for something that is bright and illuminates the tank well, and I prefer the whiter spectrum, but I still want the corals to pop. A difficult task I know.

I started the tank with an EcoTech XR15 Pro which was fine but it seemed a bit dim and dull overall. It has deep blues, sure but I don't like the heavy blue look other than during dawn and dusk. More recently, I've tried the ReeFi Uno Pro 2, which is a great light for the price. Tons of power, very bright with the addition of the amber and lime LEDs, but it has a very bad disco ball effect which I really don't enjoy. If not for that disco ball effect, I'd likely just keep this light but it's just too distracting for me.

Right now as my next option, I'm looking to Kessil and I can't decide over the A360X or A500X. A360X is similar wattage to the XR15 so I'm worried it may not have that 'bright' look that I enjoy, but the A500X seems overkill and is very expensive. I'd be very interested in the AP9X if there was a way to mount it long ways instead of wide, as I have a peninsula tank.

As for what's in my tank, it's primarily LPS and soft corals. I don't plan on any significant amount of SPS so they aren't a factor here. I also have two(hopefully one eventually) Bubble Tip Anemones hanging out at the top of my highest rock that love the high lighting.

I have a Kessil A80 running on a quarantine tank and I love the look of it, which is why I'm interested in trying a Kessil for my main tank. I know some would suggest I get two lights, but honestly I prefer the front of the tank to be shaded/get indirect lighting as that's where I keep my Elegance, Ricordia, and other shady corals.

Alternatively, I have been interested in a T5 / LED combo but I'd want something that's plug and plug for the most part, and not a massive Invesment. Not sure that exists.

What do you guys think?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my WB 3620 Peninsula setup for a few months now and I'm in search of the 'perfect' light. I'm looking for something that is bright and illuminates the tank well, and I prefer the whiter spectrum, but I still want the corals to pop. A difficult task I know.

I started the tank with an EcoTech XR15 Pro which was fine but it seemed a bit dim and dull overall. It has deep blues, sure but I don't like the heavy blue look other than during dawn and dusk. More recently, I've tried the ReeFi Uno Pro 2, which is a great light for the price. Tons of power, very bright with the addition of the amber and lime LEDs, but it has a very bad disco ball effect which I really don't enjoy. If not for that disco ball effect, I'd likely just keep this light but it's just too distracting for me.

Right now as my next option, I'm looking to Kessil and I can't decide over the A360X or A500X. A360X is similar wattage to the XR15 so I'm worried it may not have that 'bright' look that I enjoy, but the A500X seems overkill and is very expensive. I'd be very interested in the AP9X if there was a way to mount it long ways instead of wide, as I have a peninsula tank.

As for what's in my tank, it's primarily LPS and soft corals. I don't plan on any significant amount of SPS so they aren't a factor here. I also have two(hopefully one eventually) Bubble Tip Anemones hanging out at the top of my highest rock that love the high lighting.

I have a Kessil A80 running on a quarantine tank and I love the look of it, which is why I'm interested in trying a Kessil for my main tank. I know some would suggest I get two lights, but honestly I prefer the front of the tank to be shaded/get indirect lighting as that's where I keep my Elegance, Ricordia, and other shady corals.

Alternatively, I have been interested in a T5 / LED combo but I'd want something that's plug and plug for the most part, and not a massive Invesment. Not sure that exists.

What do you guys think?
I have 2 a360x over a 3x2 foot tank and there is no lack of brightness. Here is when I first set up with my water still cloudy from the sand. I am using these for SPS by the way, and the cloudiness of the water gives you the idea what the 55 degree reflectors do instead of spilling the light all over the room. I may in the future add an a500x to the middle, but that's only when I have a lot of coral growth and things get shaded, not because I don't have enough light. In this picture they are only set around 55 percent. My tank is 12" tall though. If you want to get hopelessly drunk on a saturday and read through my build thread, I try to put every detail of what I do in there.
They behave very much like metal halide. The bottom one is a video so you can see what I mean.
370122825_911123619886262_1727422065013240379_n.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back