Fire goby died with red dot in the middle - possible cause?

provia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fire goby died overnight in the tank with a red dot in the middle. It has been in my tank for a good few months already and no new fish or corals were introduced in the last 30 days. The only thing I added was a blob of chaeto in preparation for the refugium.

The chaeto came from my LFS. It was kept in the same tank as all other corals (plus a few fish for display) there for sale so I assumed it’s safe.

In terms of wage quality, I have SG 1.025, temp 26.5C, nitrite and ammonia 0 and nitrate 20ppm.

Any help is appreciated.

F114A26F-3E40-4AB7-B7F0-4A4AC640A859.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fire goby died overnight in the tank with a red dot in the middle. It has been in my tank for a good few months already and no new fish or corals were introduced in the last 30 days. The only thing I added was a blob of chaeto in preparation for the refugium.

The chaeto came from my LFS. It was kept in the same tank as all other corals (plus a few fish for display) there for sale so I assumed it’s safe.

In terms of wage quality, I have SG 1.025, temp 26.5C, nitrite and ammonia 0 and nitrate 20ppm.

Any help is appreciated.

F114A26F-3E40-4AB7-B7F0-4A4AC640A859.jpeg

Sorry to see. The firefish is really thin, I think that is the primary issue here. The lesion could be bacterial, or it could be Uronema, but either of those was likely brought on by malabsorption/starvation.

Jay

OP
OP
P

provia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
malabsorption
I think you’re right. He is easily scared by other fish in the tank and he won’t come out event during feeding time because of other fish. I usually have to use a turkey baster to squeeze some krill specifically to his hiding spot just so that he could eat some without being scared.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back