Fire Shrimp Has Risen From The Dead

Mark Goode

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2022
Messages
915
Reaction score
1,631
Location
Market Harborough, England
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from the pub last night and shone a flashlight into my tank to see all was well. I shone it into the small cave where my two Fire Shrimps live, and saw a Blue Knuckle hermit feasting on one of them. The shrimp was clearly struggling, but being only a youngster was unable to break free. I went to bed vowing to flush the hermits in the morning.

This morning I checked the cave, and saw only only one shrimp, and a few legs and antennae on the sand. A little later, at feeding time, both shrimps emerged fit and healthy.

So what was happening? Clearly the shrimp was moulting, but what was the crab doing? Was it eating the moult as it was shed? Or was it attacking the shrimp but having no success?

Just curious.
 
Yes it was eating the old shell
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new