Fire shrimp twitching

Mikemilly245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this shrimp about 48 hours ago. Ever since I added him in he’s been doing this weird twitching/shaking movement (right at beginning of video) and also shaking his front claws. He has eaten both times I’ve fed him, and was fine when I was watching him in the tank at the store. Kind of makes me think it was an acclimation issue but I did it the same way I’ve always done. Is this pre molt or something ? Is this how they normally are?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. There is a lot of stuff floating around so it is just probably making contact with his body and making him twitch. Now fire shrimp typically hide in rocks so surprised to see him out in the open like that for extended period

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine physically, but 48h is still newly acclamating to its enviornment.
The difference in biomes may make it molt soon but only more time will tell.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. There is a lot of stuff floating around so it is just probably making contact with his body and making him twitch. Now fire shrimp typically hide in rocks so surprised to see him out in the open like that for extended period
Was thinking this exact thing while I watched the vid. Looks to me like debris hitting it's antennae that is making it twitch,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got this shrimp about 48 hours ago. Ever since I added him in he’s been doing this weird twitching/shaking movement (right at beginning of video) and also shaking his front claws. He has eaten both times I’ve fed him, and was fine when I was watching him in the tank at the store. Kind of makes me think it was an acclimation issue but I did it the same way I’ve always done. Is this pre molt or something ? Is this how they normally are?

They do this and even acquire black dots when preparing to molt. leave it undisturbed. It will do its own thing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back