Firefish dorsal fin disappeared - gone forever?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reefpuck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Reefpuck

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2018
Messages
649
Reaction score
891
Location
Georgetown, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of nowhere...woke up to find my firefish's dorsal fin gone. All that was left was what looked like 2 little cartilage hairs sticking up...but then those also disappeared the next day. Don't have any fish that are aggressive towards the firefish.
Attach40.jpg


Will it's fin grow back? The tall dorsal fin is the reason I bought the dang fish!
 
It will probably grow back. Mine do that occasionally. No worries.
 
Good to know. What do you think is the culprit in your tank? I'm wondering if an emerald or hermit crab got it near where it sleeps in the rocks.
 
Just out of nowhere...woke up to find my firefish's dorsal fin gone. All that was left was what looked like 2 little cartilage hairs sticking up...but then those also disappeared the next day. Don't have any fish that are aggressive towards the firefish.
Attach40.jpg


Will it's fin grow back? The tall dorsal fin is the reason I bought the dang fish!

My Yellow Eye Kole tang hates my firefish. Has tore off the fin several times and it always grows back.
 
Good to know. What do you think is the culprit in your tank? I'm wondering if an emerald or hermit crab got it near where it sleeps in the rocks.
I think it just gets caught in the rocks and breaks off. I don't have any big crabs in my tank.
 
This is an old old thread, but this happened to one of mine too. I just noticed it. He seems to be swimming and eating like normal. Definitely concerning. But if others have had the same issue, then I'm not overly concerned, yet
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new