Firefish getting bullied

vinnyvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I have just purchased a firefish can i just say i have fallen in love with this fish from the moment I set eyes on it. Just never got round to getting one untill today.
My problem is my cleaner wrasse just seems to be bullying it. Iv observed to see if the wrasse is just wanting to clean him but it seems a little too aggressive for that type of behaviour can anyone tell me if these two fish are not compatable and if so what can I do to prevent this?
I like both fish and if I have to take one back for trade it will be the wrasse.
Thanks.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Firefish hiding because of this? If it was being harassed it would be hiding all the time. I have a Flasher Wrasse that likes to flash my Clowns and Firefish and I thought it was aggression at first.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleaner wrasse has a similar shape as the fire fish so it very well could be aggression.

Fire fish are one of the more sensitive fish to acclimate, typically shy and passive, so you might have to intervene to save the fire fish.

You could try taping a mirror to the side of the tank to distract the wrassse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vinnyvin

vinnyvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Firefish hiding because of this? If it was being harassed it would be hiding all the time. I have a Flasher Wrasse that likes to flash my Clowns and Firefish and I thought it was aggression at first.
Yeah it looks like it. it's tucked itself between the rocks and the glass doesn't seem to want to come out i have put some food it and it's catching food through the flow but isn't coming out to feed.

OP
OP
vinnyvin

vinnyvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cleaner wrasse has a similar shape as the fire fish so it very well be aggression.

Fire fish are one of the more sensitive fish to acclimate, typically shy and passive, so you might have to intervene to save the fire fish.

You could try taping a mirror to the side of the tank to distract the wrassse.
Il il give it the 24 hours and see how they are in the morning if nothing changed I will try the mirror method. If thats a fail looks like im gonna have to trade the wrasse. It's a shame because I like the wrasse [emoji17]

OP
OP
vinnyvin

vinnyvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like iv had to sin bin the little guy. Firefish was found in the same spot this morning. He seems to be having a little nosy around now this guy is out.
662781e9fa6c7e0df4f0c614c00d5706.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats unfortunate.
firefish and cardinals have been the two that I just cannot keep. Theyre so sensitive :(
Maybe if theyre added first and given a ton of time to establish their territory, it could be ok.

OP
OP
vinnyvin

vinnyvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not the first time. this has happened to me before with a little yellow tailed wrasse, cant remeber its name and I added him n he was the one getting bullied. Looks like im gonna stay away from the wrasse family. It's a shame because they are very nice fish.

Yeah suppose adding certain fish at different times should make a difference.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it absolutely makes all the difference :) especially in nano tanks, what I have, its all about available real estate :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back