Firefish Jumped!

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I wanted some quick advice after my firefish goby jumped out of my tank today. I recently switched from the stock Fluval Evo lid to the IM Mesh Lid so I could have an Ai Prime light. Everything has been great for the past week until today when I came out to the living room and my firefish was on the ground! They were covered in dog hair (hadn’t vacuumed for today) and I tried getting it all off before returning them to the water. At first they didn’t move at all and finally after about a minute they began to gasp for “air”. It’s been about an hour now and they’ve moved to behind the rock work and has been hiding back there still gasping. I usually feed around this time or within the next couple hours but I’m wondering if the trauma will keep them from eating. So my question, when would feeding be appropriate again? They usually eat a fairly decent amount when I feed once a day and loves to float around with the clowns during it. Also what’s the likelihood they survive past the first day after a situation like this? The fall to the floor was easily 4 feet.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they recover, and sometimes they do not. All you can do is wait. It probably won't eat. The fall is less concerning then being out of the water.

If your new lid has any gaps, those need to be addressed or this will likely happen again. Fish actually look for the gaps.

OP
OP
JustinTanks

JustinTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the mesh lid from IM would be more than adequate but I guess not. I found some fine clear netting that I’m putting over the lid temporarily until I can find a permanent solution. A bit upset wasting $40 on a mesh lid that was made to prohibit something like this from happening.

Back