Firefish red vs purple vs exquisite vs helfrichi

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 of the red this past Saturday and seriously think it was a mistake. I have not seen either of them since that night I put them in. I think I have an idea of where they're holed up but these last few days I have not seen them even poke their heads out or coming out to eat.

Fire fish can be shy, but once they feel secure, they come out more. They can hide for a long time. Just make sure to send some food close to where they are hiding, so that they do not starve. I got lucky as they were very small when I bought them, but I got a male and female, they paired and I saw them spawn once. The male is slightly bigger and slightly more colorful, but you need to see both side by side to tell the difference.
If you want a group, the scissor tail are a better choice, and I find them a lot less shy.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been successful keeping firefish in a tank with large active tangs? I started my 135g tank with two reds and two purples which did well. Eventually all were lost with some showing tail fin damage. Livestock includes Yellow, White Tail and PB tangs, Foxface, Flame Hawk. LM blenny, Six line wrasse and lots of hermit crabs. I never observed aggression but the firefish were often quite reclusive.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my Friends.
I have never kept a Firefish before. Do you think It’s better to put the fish in an acclimation box? Or no problem to release it directly in the DT?
Tankmates:
1 Springeri Damsel
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Centropyge aurantonotus
1 Green Chromis
3 Pseudanthias dispar
Thanks in advance.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m probably way too late but it’s obviously the reds. The rest are just overpriced pretenders :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_1984.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my Friends.
I have never kept a Firefish before. Do you think It’s better to put the fish in an acclimation box? Or no problem to release it directly in the DT?
Tankmates:
1 Springeri Damsel
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Centropyge aurantonotus
1 Green Chromis
3 Pseudanthias dispar
Thanks in advance.
I would if you can. They are so shy it’s best to let them get used to their tank mates before they can be bullied

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m probably way too late but it’s obviously the reds. The rest are just overpriced pretenders :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_1984.jpeg
I agree reds best lol. There's an old joke my friend's grandpa used to tell. He was an avid gardener. When people asked him what is favorite flower was hed tell them the dandelion. People always gave him a hard time about it but he'd respond "they're beautiful. If the were rare or hard to grow everyone would want them." That's how I feel when I see different designer firefish in person. The "boring" normal ones are truly breathtaking

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been successful keeping firefish in a tank with large active tangs? I started my 135g tank with two reds and two purples which did well. Eventually all were lost with some showing tail fin damage. Livestock includes Yellow, White Tail and PB tangs, Foxface, Flame Hawk. LM blenny, Six line wrasse and lots of hermit crabs. I never observed aggression but the firefish were often quite reclusive.
Good chance it was the firefish themselves. They generally end up killing each other unfortunately. They are surprisingly hard to pair. Though a six line wrasse can be an assassin too.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree reds best lol. There's an old joke my friend's grandpa used to tell. He was an avid gardener. When people asked him what is favorite flower was hed tell them the dandelion. People always gave him a hard time about it but he'd respond "they're beautiful. If the were rare or hard to grow everyone would want them." That's how I feel when I see different designer firefish in person. The "boring" normal ones are truly breathtaking
Agreed. Unfortunately rarity and even a big price tag can somehow convince people that something is prettier. I try really hard to remind myself of that whenever I’m shopping for fish or corals. Bell’s flasher wrasse being another example. It’s just a slightly different blue flasher (and I prefer the blue) but some people will pay 10x more for the bell’s.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back