First batch of Phyto questions

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my first batch of Phytoplankton and currently on day 6. Not sure when to harvest. By looking at my photo is it ready? Should it be darker? Again this is the first time I've done this and looking for any advice on when to pull or what to look for. Thank you.

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit longer you want it to be almost dark green and where you can almost not see the beam of light if you shine it through the other side if that makes any since.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit longer you want it to be almost dark green and where you can almost not see the beam of light if you shine it through the other side if that makes any since.
Thanks. 1 Day later and its a bit darker. I'm figuring a couple more days. Thanks for your response.

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and dark. If you havevest too early it will likely not being strong enough and crash. Alternatively when it’s too dark it can crash

ae1b196be300f977bf1f39b7d0bfa568.jpg

The one on the right I split today

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my first batch of Phytoplankton and currently on day 6. Not sure when to harvest. By looking at my photo is it ready? Should it be darker? Again this is the first time I've done this and looking for any advice on when to pull or what to look for. Thank you.

According to the Plankton Culture Manual I have, 6-10 days is the most nutritious phyto to harvest. When I am culturing phyto such as nannochloropsis, I keep one bottle always bubbling in front of light way beyond 10 days. This bottle serves as a backup in case my other bottles crash due to contamination. Even if it becomes very dark green and has been bubbling for 2-3 months, a portion of it can still be used to inoculate a new bottle of phyto. This is easier for me than storing a bottle of phyto in the fridge and needing to shake it up everyday.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back