Can you overdose phytoplankton?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly use phytoplankton to feed corals in my 120 gallon mixed reef tank. I realize that my tank is now an oversized phytoplankton reactor. There is a green haze on the glass every 8 hours. Fleece roller is forest green and going quickly. Can you have too much? I usually dose 2-4 cups of home grown phyto throughout the week. Replacing the main batch every month or two.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you have too much?
Yes and no - excess phyto shouldn't really hurt anything (it may actually be good for a tank in some cases), but if you add too much, it can potentially turn your tank into a phyto culture (and sometimes it can be tough to get the phyto bloom to clear); it typically takes a pretty massive overdose and/or a severe lack of phyto-predators with good phyto-culture conditions in the tank for this to happen though:
I've seen tanks that dosed too much phyto without enough pods/filter feeders, and the tank water turns green to the point where you basically only see silhouettes inside; you can't enjoy a tank if you can't see what's inside
Examples of what was likely too much phyto/too good of conditions for phyto, but first, some info for these and some info from the first link:
Look for live phyto cells under a microscope. Green water isnt always phyto.
If the tank was more cloudy white/brown than it was green then I think you are probably right about the bacterial bloom being the main issue rather than the phyto growth- a phyto bloom usually looks more like the tank @WesleyC posted

Last edited:

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no - excess phyto shouldn't really hurt anything (it may actually be good for a tank in some cases), but if you add too much, it can potentially turn your tank into a phyto culture (and sometimes it can be tough to get the phyto bloom to clear); it typically takes a pretty massive overdose and/or a severe lack of phyto-predators with good phyto-culture conditions in the tank for this to happen though:

Yeah you can't overdose as in its going to harm your livestock. You just run the risk of the phyto reproducing in your tank and then you get a bloom. Water change and running UV will clear it up.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely dosed 2000ml of fresh phyto in my tank earlier this week then turned off rollermat, skimmer, UV and ozone for 48 hours. No I'll affects whatsoever and my water achieved next level clarity as a result:

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the only side effect of doing large doses of phyto is the reduction in nitrates and phosphates, which some organisms need to survive. I slipped and dumped in far more than I should have once and both read zero.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah people also report that if they regularly dose phyto it negatively impacts their algae reactors performance.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ISpeakForTheSeas I think you missed one lol

OP, live phyto can be overdosed and in the right environment turn your entire tank the color of the phyto, in my case I accidentally dumped an entire quart of live nanno that I had cultured into my 125 and ended up with the above result about two days or so later.

Dead phytos being overdosed I believe would just cause a nutrient spike potentially leading to more issues down the line.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can't overdose as in its going to harm your livestock. You just run the risk of the phyto reproducing in your tank and then you get a bloom. Water change and running UV will clear it up.
10% water changes weekly. UV sterilizer runs 5 hours per night. Slow speed. Phyto is definitely alive in there. Scraping the glass isn’t the worst thing I’ve done.

OP
OP
tzabor10

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the only side effect of doing large doses of phyto is the reduction in nitrates and phosphates, which some organisms need to survive. I slipped and dumped in far more than I should have once and both read zero.
Nitrates are almost always between 1 and 3 per NYOS testing. Po4 used to be around 3ppm but not is between 1 and 2 ppm. Certainly some phosphate comes in through phyto dosing. I’m suspicious of the nori clips adding phyto as well.

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are almost always between 1 and 3 per NYOS testing. Po4 used to be around 3ppm but not is between 1 and 2 ppm. Certainly some phosphate comes in through phyto dosing. I’m suspicious of the nori clips adding phyto as well.

I suspect the phosphates come from whatever fertilizer you use to feed the phyto culture. You can overdo that pretty easily. I had that problem initially but finally worked it out.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get rid of particles without mechanical filtration?
its really not that bad. Very large skimmer during lights on or when not dosing may be most of the reason. I have a spot I can run floss should I feel the need but have only used it on set up to get rid of the silt from the sand. Also tank drains to refugium so a lot probably gets trapped in the macros. Then cuc takes care of the edibles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back