First Build - 75 Gallon

Saltlifeozzie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 16 (15 years ago) I set up a 30 gallon salt water tank in my room. Everything was going great. Had some clowns, a blue tang and a few frags. Then my younger brother decided to dump all the products I had in the stand into my tank and ruined the tank. I got rid of the tank and never wanted to hear of a fish tank.

BUT… now I have a 2 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. My son used to go to a day care that had a small fresh water tank and he was obsessed with it. So I said screw lets look into getting a tank for the house. I started looking into different sizes and what I can accomplish and decided to look for something 75 to 100 gallons.

Due to lack of knowledge, I rushed inside to it a little bit but have made it work.
I found a tank with stand on offer up for super cheap. Stand was in good shape, tank had no leaks so I bought it and took it home.
IMG_0033.jpeg

After doing some research I realized I needed an overflow in order to hook up a sump… But the tank I bought was tempered glass and could not be drilled. I started googling ways to make it work and found an over the back overflow. I went to VIP Reef Aquariums here in Miami and they had them in stock. Got myself an EShopps PF-800 Overdlow Box. On Offer up I found an Eshopps FF-75 overflow. And for the return pump I got a Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0.

So by now I had the sump in the stand, the overflow set up and the return pump in place but still an empty tank.
IMG_0039.jpeg

After looking at the tank I realized I really wished the back glass was black.
That same night I went to Home Depot and bought black Rust-Oleum paint and painted the back glass. Much better!!
IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

I started shopping around for rocks but had no idea how to make a good aqua-sculpture.
I found aqua scape designs in Kendall and they were able to get me some nice looking rocks to fit my tank. Passed by VIP Reefs and bought sand so that I could put the rocks in place.
IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

I called VIP Reefs to see if they delivered water and luckily they did. The same day Xavior from VIP went and filled the tank for me and got the overflow going for me.
IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg

Cycled the water for about a month adding bacteria to it and checking the water weekly. After the water parameters looked good I went and bought some clown fish. And when I bought the clown fish I was quickly reminded of a very important piece to the puzzle I was missing… LIGHTING!!
I took the clowns home, added them to the tank and started doing some research in lights.

IMG_1473.jpeg

After looking at a few different lighting options, I went ahead and got myself 2 Exotech Radion XR 15s and slapped them in the tank with RMS Stands.

IMG_1474.jpeg

It felt great to finally have what I needed to start adding to the tank!

OP
OP
S

Saltlifeozzie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I got after that was a bubble tip anemone. Put it in the tank and little by little moved to where he wanted.
IMG_0904.jpeg
IMG_0920.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

OP
OP
S

Saltlifeozzie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From then Ive added a Kole Tang, Bluestreak Goby, 2 Butterfly fish, a Blood Shrimp, a Green Rhodactis Mushroom, a Blue Tip Torch, a Rock Anemone and some Zoas.

I recently had a bacterial overgrowth. Tank was looking good and all of a sudden it got cloudy. I texted the water and it looked good but my corals werent looking too good. My anemone was closed up, the torches were small, the Zoas were closed up and the mushrooms were getting smaller and kind of losing color.

I did a 40 gallon water change to help clear out the water, cleaned the sump, added some filter floss and i just ordered a Coralife Turbo Twist UV Light to help me keep the water clear.

Unfortunately the bubble tip did not make it. The rest of the corals made it. The torch is looking good, the mushroom and the rock nem are looking good and the Zoas are finally starting to open back up.

Tank is currently looking super clear and all my parameters are looking good. Will add the UV light once it arrived and will hopefully not have another scare soon.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 16 (15 years ago) I set up a 30 gallon salt water tank in my room. Everything was going great. Had some clowns, a blue tang and a few frags. Then my younger brother decided to dump all the products I had in the stand into my tank and ruined the tank. I got rid of the tank and never wanted to hear of a fish tank.

BUT… now I have a 2 year old son and a 1 year old daughter. My son used to go to a day care that had a small fresh water tank and he was obsessed with it. So I said screw lets look into getting a tank for the house. I started looking into different sizes and what I can accomplish and decided to look for something 75 to 100 gallons.

Due to lack of knowledge, I rushed inside to it a little bit but have made it work.
I found a tank with stand on offer up for super cheap. Stand was in good shape, tank had no leaks so I bought it and took it home.
IMG_0033.jpeg

After doing some research I realized I needed an overflow in order to hook up a sump… But the tank I bought was tempered glass and could not be drilled. I started googling ways to make it work and found an over the back overflow. I went to VIP Reef Aquariums here in Miami and they had them in stock. Got myself an EShopps PF-800 Overdlow Box. On Offer up I found an Eshopps FF-75 overflow. And for the return pump I got a Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0.

So by now I had the sump in the stand, the overflow set up and the return pump in place but still an empty tank.
IMG_0039.jpeg

After looking at the tank I realized I really wished the back glass was black.
That same night I went to Home Depot and bought black Rust-Oleum paint and painted the back glass. Much better!!
IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_0052.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

I started shopping around for rocks but had no idea how to make a good aqua-sculpture.
I found aqua scape designs in Kendall and they were able to get me some nice looking rocks to fit my tank. Passed by VIP Reefs and bought sand so that I could put the rocks in place.
IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0225.jpeg

I called VIP Reefs to see if they delivered water and luckily they did. The same day Xavior from VIP went and filled the tank for me and got the overflow going for me.
IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_0226.jpeg
IMG_0236.jpeg

Cycled the water for about a month adding bacteria to it and checking the water weekly. After the water parameters looked good I went and bought some clown fish. And when I bought the clown fish I was quickly reminded of a very important piece to the puzzle I was missing… LIGHTING!!
I took the clowns home, added them to the tank and started doing some research in lights.

IMG_1473.jpeg

After looking at a few different lighting options, I went ahead and got myself 2 Exotech Radion XR 15s and slapped them in the tank with RMS Stands.

IMG_1474.jpeg

It felt great to finally have what I needed to start adding to the tank!
Nice looking aquascape!

OP
OP
S

Saltlifeozzie92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Got home from work and both of my butterfly fishes were dead laying in the bottom of the tank.
And my Goby is nowhere to be found!
♂️♂️
Not sure if my Kole Tang is becoming an assassin
Going to get a camera and put it near the tank so I can monitor what is going on.
So right now I have the 4 Clowns, the Kole Tang and the blood shrimp.
My Torch, the mushroom and the Zoas are looking good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back