First dip into saltwater and reefing.....

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "dip" ???? thats a plunge my friend!!!! I LOVE IT! Good for you. You will love having the water volume. Bigger is more forgiving and is fantastic that way. It will take longer for things to get out of wack. I'm going to go look for your scape thread.

WELCOME!!!

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E267B495-B7DF-477F-AC39-403329A3ED4A.jpeg
Cool stand. I have something similar in mind for my next tank.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright @Jochen I'm coming along for this ride!!! You really need to start a build thread. I just looked at your aquascape and it is incredible. How in the world is this your first reef??? Did you do big planted tanks with zen scapes in the past??? I actually encourage everyone saying hi to drop by and look at the this gentleman's first scape!!!! Not the pile O'rocks most of us created in our first tanks... I would have commented in the aquascape thread, but the pages went way past your scape.

This guy mostly held to rule of thirds, took advantage of the depth of the tank, created archways -but not funky fake looking ones-, and keep nearly all his rocks 1/2 way down the tank allowing for real growth without forcing his corals out of the water.

This is no "dip into the hobby." Please start a build thread I'm sure there would be a number of peeps very happy to watch your progress!!!

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright @Jochen I'm coming along for this ride!!! You really need to start a build thread. I just looked at your aquascape and it is incredible. How in the world is this your first reef??? Did you do big planted tanks with zen scapes in the past??? I actually encourage everyone saying hi to drop by and look at the this gentleman's first scape!!!! Not the pile O'rocks most of us created in our first tanks... I would have commented in the aquascape thread, but the pages went way past your scape.

This guy mostly held to rule of thirds, took advantage of the depth of the tank, created archways -but not funky fake looking ones-, and keep nearly all his rocks 1/2 way down the tank allowing for real growth without forcing his corals out of the water.

This is no "dip into the hobby." Please start a build thread I'm sure there would be a number of peeps very happy to watch your progress!!!
Thank you for the nice complement! No, honestly this is my first reef build and have not had an aquarium tin 30 + years. I think it helped that photography is one of my other hobbies and developed an eye for image composition. Unfortunately didn’t take a picture of it, but I put masking tape on the tank to lay out thirds (horizontal and vertical) - highly recommend this. Also helped that I used dry rock so I build up my structure and let is sit for a while to see if I would still like it in the next few days and tweaked it from there. May wife made fun of me how long it took to put couple of rocks in a glass tank. Yes will start a build thread, however when I started this project I wasn’t thinking about it (even knew about it) so I didn’t take as many pictures as I would have liked to have now....stay tuned....

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E267B495-B7DF-477F-AC39-403329A3ED4A.jpeg
Cool stand. I have something similar in mind for my next tank.
Thank you, back bone is cedar 2x6, that is face framed with 3/4 inch mahogany. Helps that I just buy rough milled wood and can mill it to dimension in my shop!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
With a tank that size, I'm not sure you get to call it a 'dip', that's definitely diving in from the 10m platform!
Haha, yes the dip from the 10m platform, question will be how the water entrance will be - belly flop or smooth entrance. R2R to the rescue.....

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
My name is Jochen and live in Indianapolis. So glad I found R2R with all these great threads, articles and information for inspiration and knowledge alike. Lurked and read a lot, but recently joined to get feedback on my hardscape. As a kid we always had an aquarium or two around - all freshwater. My daughter wanted an aquarium and that resparked my own interest into this hobby. For a longtime was torn between salt or freshwater, but my wife and I are ocean lovers, so we took the step into the saltwater and reefing world to bring it closer to our land locked location. Not starting small with a 84 X 24 x 30 tank but if you have a dream......
4FC7A445-CDEA-4F64-BC57-413B9441102D.jpeg
Thank you! Not so uncommon if you are from Germany. Always had one or two of these in my classrooms. However in the US, I have an ongoing collection of mispronunciation and spelling of my name. Even my US wife of 13 years still can’t pronounce it right...... my secret coffee shop identity is Joe...

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was feeling the pressure and started a build threat here:
;Happy:cool:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back