First Dive into Saltwater - 125g Build- The Behemoth

bikesandbullies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a 125G tank from a friend. Got a heck of a deal on it. It didn't come with a stand so I'm going to have to build one. Plan on getting started on that next Monday. I have a 50G 4ft long tank to use as refuge. Gotta get baffles in that soon. It's gonna be awhile before this tank is up and running. I plan on taking things super slow. I have been researching and taking notes on saltwater aquariums for the past 6 months. It's probably gonna take me that much longer to get the tank wet.

Some of my equipment list include:

Skimmer
Vertex IN-280

Return Pump
Iwaki MD40RLXT (1200gph @ 4' head)

Powerheads
2 Hydor Koralia 1

Lighting
2 250 Watt Icecap MH w/ 20k XM Bulbs w/ Spiderlight Refletors(want to supplement with T5s just do know what yet)

Monitor
ReefKeeper Elite w/ NET

Later on I will get a Calcium Reactor. Don't know what kind yet. Plan on keeping SPS, LPS, a couple softies and maybe an Anemone or two.

My only real question right now is is will my lighting will be sufficient? Tank dimensions are 72lx18dx22t. Will the 2 metal halides cover 72 inches evenly? Also, what kind of T5s should I supplement with? Name/Brand/Wattage? I don't want to buy more than 4 bulbs. I'm spending an un-Godly amount on this tank as it is.

Thanx in advance guys!

100_0125.jpg

Here's the first fts while still leak testing. NO LEAKS!!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back