First Ever Reef Build 60 Gallon Frameless

KliJefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hello everyone,

I have recently transitioned from keeping freshwater African Cichlids to attempting my first marine build. My plans for the tank are going to start out with minimal fish keeping and working my way to keeping as many corals as possible. My wife has also recently seen my bank statements and now is hesitant to let me continue, but that is what flowers and massages are for. I'll start with listing all of my equipment that is already purchased followed by future purchases that may take a while to come *cough cough*, wife took my card.

What I have so far:
Marinelane 24"x24"x24" Framless Cube
-Trigger Systems Ruby 36 Sump
-Reef Octopus 110 skimmer
-Vertex RX Universal Media Reactor
-Eheim 1260 Universal Pump
-Eheim Jager 150W Heater
-Tunze Osmolator Top Off
-BRS 4 stage RO/DI
-Vortech MP10WES x2 w/ battery backups

On the List:
-Kessil 360W w/ Neptune System Control Cable
-Neptune Apex Gold System

The last two items are the most expensive so they may take a while to purchase but i have the bug and i do not think i will be able to wait until they are financially supported ha.

I am building my own stand to fit our wall that has a recess in the middle to allow for foam insulation and to cover some of the sand bed, as well as a waterproof base to hold approx. 5 to 10 gallons of water to minimize the amount of carpet I am sure I will eventually have to replace. Just putting the finishing touches on it at the moment, the sides will be skinned with plywood and covered with drywall to be painted to match along with matching base and crown molding. It will also include a section for mounting all of the electronic systems that will be installed along with hidden pockets for the electrical wiring. My original idea was to have the plumbing for top offs and water changes run through the wall to aid in simplicity but that would require a lot of work and possible damage to the walls as they are plaster walls and I will already be testing my abilities running GFI outlets. The stand will also be lit using red LED's for a little flavor.

I am also building a canopy that will mount to the wall over the tank approx. 3' above the tank, to house any miscellaneous items that will be used and to all hang the Kessil LED from. Somehow i will need to get any wires down from there, initially the plan was to go through the wall again, but i am now think to just frame a chase and finish it the same as the stand and canopy.

I am also thinking of using mostly Pukani dry rock and only a few pieces of live rock to seed with, while cycling the aquarium for what I plan to be 3-4 months. I think I am looking most forward to working on the aquascape :eek:hwell: as I am not a very creative person.

I will be posting pictures when I get home from work this evening to show progress. If there is any advice someone is willing to give this saltwater newb please share as I would like this to be a positive experience. Thank you very much and please say a prayer for be to keep being able to persuade the queen. :hat:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... Sounds great, can wait to see it come to life... please keep us updated and post tons of pictures!

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum.
+1 on the pics

ravenjred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, congrats on the build. I just started my build and have my frame for the stand built. I have to put the finishing touches on it and will post more pics when that is done. I am also new to saltwater, so maybe we can learn things together. Good luck with your build.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds cool. Looking forward to seeing how your building the electronic section as im trying to figure out how im doing mine on my stand build at the moment.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back