First Filter Cleaning

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a reminder to do my first filter cleaning (fluval 307 canister in a 45 gallon sw tank). Tank is new and has been cycling for about a month and nitrites are high at .75 but ammonia is mostly under control at .25 and falling (Was up to 1ppm for a bit).

Anyway, I’m afraid I’m going to do something to kill off the bacteria I’ve built... manufacture calls for changing carbon and ammonia remover packs then rinsing most of the sponges in aquarium water (which I assume means in a bucket as part of my next wc).

my question - should I hold off my first maintenance to let the levels continue to level off or will this have no impact on my cycle?

Thanks

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been? Canister filters are not the ideal way to set up a saltwater reef aquarium. Most people do not clean them any where near often enough. They work great at removing stuff from the water column, but it is still in your system. Like any mechanical filtration all the stuff it captures will brake down in to nitrate and phosphate if not cleaned often enough. Most wait till the flow slows down or even stops. Then they wonder why the can not control the hair algae in their tank. For my system I need to change my filter sock weekly at a minimum, ideally every 5 days or my nutrients get to high. If I want to reduce them every 3 days. They are not my only method of exporting nutrients, but I have a fairly heavy fish load. So that is just part of the balance.
To answer your question it depends on the rest of your system. If you have a lot rock and other surfaces for beneficial bacteria I would clean it now. If not I would wait a bit longer. Rinsing your sponges or other media in tank water is no too going to kill all your beneficial bacteria.
Welcome to the hobby. Good luck, take it slowly and enjoy your new tank.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a reminder to do my first filter cleaning (fluval 307 canister in a 45 gallon sw tank). Tank is new and has been cycling for about a month and nitrites are high at .75 but ammonia is mostly under control at .25 and falling (Was up to 1ppm for a bit).

Anyway, I’m afraid I’m going to do something to kill off the bacteria I’ve built... manufacture calls for changing carbon and ammonia remover packs then rinsing most of the sponges in aquarium water (which I assume means in a bucket as part of my next wc).

my question - should I hold off my first maintenance to let the levels continue to level off or will this have no impact on my cycle?

Thanks

I would just clean it when you do your first water change.

How is your canister set up? Check out pondguru on youtube, he has TONS of videos on how to set up canister filters. The only thing I disagree with him on is the sponges. I would use just coarse sponges so you don't lose flow through the canister

OP
OP
ExpatFish

ExpatFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just clean it when you do your first water change.

How is your canister set up? Check out pondguru on youtube, he has TONS of videos on how to set up canister filters. The only thing I disagree with him on is the sponges. I would use just coarse sponges so you don't lose flow through the canister

Thanks for this, just looked up that YouTuber and my filter and got some good ideas! think I will swap out some of my “ceramic rings” and carbon bags with the biohome ultimate he suggested...

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem matrix, marine pure, and bright well xport are pretty much the same thing as biohome

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is fully, completely cycled and cleaning the canister in any way, including total replacement of media, will not affect this tanks completed cycle. In a reef tank, extra filters beyond rocks and sand are simply ancillary and not a breakpoint in surface area

when ammonia moved down, no zero required, that was cycled time. The hallmark definition of a completed cycle is independence to water changes, can't be harmed by cleaning and water changes. Due to number of days underwater with your boosters in place, this tank is cycled and can be cleaned however you like

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back