First Fish Yellow Tang Instead of Clown?

Yellow Tang or Clown?

• Total voters

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm not sure if getting a yellow tang as my first fish is a good idea or not. I'm thinking of getting a small yellow tang instead of clowns as my first fish to help prevent the alge growth. Is this a good or bad idea? Also, I won't be putting more than 3 fish in my tank, maybe even less if I don't go with clown fish.

My tank is a 20gal vertical tank so if I get the yellow tang as a baby I'll have to get rid of it when it grows.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish in was this guy.
IMG_20200224_182050.jpg

Pinnatus batfish, after the macroalgae and pods had been in the aquarium for a few weeks.
It's a whopping 1"

OP
OP
D

dimik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always followed fish stocking with least aggressive /territorial (small) to most aggressive/territorial (large).
The idea is to have the yellow tang and only the yellow tang with a few cleaning crew mates for 1-2months as the new tank cycles and then remove it

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through the same contemplation, I went with a clown pair since from what I was able to gather the are more hardy and would help with setting the bio load up for future fish (food and poop etc..) and I could learn my water parameters without bothering them as much. My tank was fully cycled before adding them but there really was not any algae or stuff for the yellow to do as far as grazing and what not. I’m not saying the yellow is not a hardy fish this is just the route I was more comfortable with.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns seem to be the "go to" for first fish. They are hardy, non-aggressive, fun to watch and relatively inexpensive to "seed" the tank. 20 gal is too small for a tang, even a small yellow. CUC for algae would be recommended once the tank is mature and has a food supply for snails and hermits so they don't starve.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang is a bully. I am glad I added him last.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I leave yellow tangs to Aa well established tank although not necessary. Clowns would be my choice.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back