First Fish

Maine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cycling my tank, and it's been about a month. All of my parameters are perfect except Nitrate, which is decreasing. I was thinking of getting two snowflake clownfish first. Also, could it be possible to get my fish coral at the same time? When should I get my clean up crew, and how big should it be? I will probably ask the people at my LFS anyway, but I am just trying to get an answer before I make the decently long trip there.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get the clean up crew (CUC) first. Not sure what to recommend without knowing the size, substrate or overall livestock intentions. I would say Trochus and cerith snails and dwarf hermits are a good start. Wait a week or two and see how your system responds. If all is well, add a fish or two. Again, monitor and see how your system responds before adding anything else. Slow and steady wins.

OP
OP
M

Maine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get the clean up crew (CUC) first. Not sure what to recommend without knowing the size, substrate or overall livestock intentions. I would say Trochus and cerith snails and dwarf hermits are a good start. Wait a week or two and see how your system responds. If all is well, add a fish or two. Again, monitor and see how your system responds before adding anything else. Slow and steady wins.
It's a 85g system with a 65g display

Aaron Atkinson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Exciting to be adding livestock. I would add slowly and wait on the coral. The easier more robust coral you may find exciting now but Maybe not so much later. My advice (fwiw) is wait a few more months before starting corals. You will find real estate goes quick so be selective in what you add.

I added my bubble tip anemone at 6 months and was ok.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't buy too many snails at first. Maybe between 5 & 10? Let's see what others say about that. Is this Your 1st salt tank? It's a great size for a "Beginner". Also go ahead & ask at the Lfs but ask here too for a good 2nd opinion.

OP
OP
M

Maine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to quarantine your new fish? While they are in QT, you could get your CUC (clean up crew) and a couple hardy corals.
I won't quarantine these fish, because my LFS is small, and I know they take very good care or their fish. Also, I just don't have the equipment, but I plan to start quarantining soon.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be to QT all fish. I found a set(tank,light,heater and filter) for like 30$. Nothing fancy but works well.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's generally best practice to quarantine all fish, you really don't want something like ich or velvet to get established in your tank (a bunch of us have been there don that too many times). Even if your LFS is small and takes good care of there fish, things can slip through and once it's in your tank it is hard to get out entirely.

That being said, clownfish are a great starter fish and I would definitely get a few snails to start off your CUC. If you have a sandbed, I would also get some nassarius snails and cerith snails to help keep it clean. 5-10 of each type should be a good starting point :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back