First time cylcing saltwater: Is this cycled or am I being overzelous?

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I started cycling my tank March 30, 2024 so fairly recent. I have quickstarted my cycle with Stability Seachem. So far the readings look like this (I understand these may not be fully accurate, I am a beginner, and this was recommended since I am not doing a fish in cycle). Salinity is stable at 1.026 when using my refractometer. I am having a hard time keeping PH above 8.0. It usually is around 7.8 without intervention of PH Up. That being said, is it safe to assume I can add some clowns to this tank? Should Nitrites be more detecable? Or would it be better to wait? I do hope to get a wavemaker and an ATO to keep up with adding water and creating more motion in the water. I do hope to own coral down the line. Thanks for any advice.
e27c9fc5-2fb3-4ca0-bfaf-27266ebd3dc0.jpg
6e879c4c-ccb0-44c7-ae54-4ce81b26e080.jpg

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like ammonia was never added. You need ammonia to be processed to truly cycle.
Ammonia was added I thought... This was the reading a few days prior where ammonia is closer to 0.25 ppm at least thats how I see it. What can I do to up ammonia? I thought the reading should be 0ppm?
3243db47-6851-4fb8-8969-2d47d2351df1.jpg

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia was added I thought... This was the reading a few days prior where ammonia is closer to 0.25 ppm at least thats how I see it. What can I do to up ammonia? I thought the reading should be 0ppm?
3243db47-6851-4fb8-8969-2d47d2351df1.jpg
That looks exactly the same and it's very common for Api to show .25. Just assume .25=0 with Api. You can add a chunk of shrimp and let it rot a bit. But bottled ammonia is way better, it's predictable/controllable.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks exactly the same and it's very common for Api to show .25. Just assume .25=0 with Api. You can add a chunk of shrimp and let it rot a bit. But bottled ammonia is way better, it's predictable/controllable.
Ill pick some up next week when I get an ATO and wavemaker. Thank you!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't drop the bottle in the garage and crack the cap. Not a pleasant thing to happen.

Bottled ammonia is best way, IMO. You can be precise with how much is added and confirm cycle is complete with additional dosing.

I wouldn't fixate on pH at this time, either. Get the cycle complete first!

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't drop the bottle in the garage and crack the cap. Not a pleasant thing to happen.

Bottled ammonia is best way, IMO. You can be precise with how much is added and confirm cycle is complete with additional dosing.

I wouldn't fixate on pH at this time, either. Get the cycle complete first!
Gotcha I will pick some up. Any particular ammonia to get?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a good solid reading of ammonia to start the cycle. Something around the 2.0 range, then once it goes down to what you are reading now, you can add fish.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a good solid reading of ammonia to start the cycle. Something around the 2.0 range, then once it goes down to what you are reading now, you can add fish.
oh shoot I did not know that :confounded-face: ive cycled freshwater before but with saltwaterfish being so expensive I want to doit right.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha I will pick some up. Any particular ammonia to get?
When I started my tank, I used ammonia chloride from Ace hardware. Just be sure it doesn't have additives in it. Dr. Tim's has some as well and it's still fairly cheap even being labeled for fish tanks

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh shoot I did not know that :confounded-face: ive cycled freshwater before but with saltwaterfish being so expensive I want to doit right.
There are plenty of threads/sources to research cycling but if you want 1 on 1 advice, recommendations, etc feel free to pm me.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok, at least you're asking the right questions and getting answers rather than just guessing!
Also, don't even bother testing for the others until you see the ammonia spike and come down, the presence of ammonia will affect nitrite, and the presence of nitrite will affect nitrate readings.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok, at least you're asking the right questions and getting answers rather than just guessing!
Also, don't even bother testing for the others until you see the ammonia spike and come down, the presence of ammonia will affect nitrite, and the presence of nitrite will affect nitrate readings.
Gotcha. For now ill dose with fish food and grab ammonia next week (payday hence the waiting) and continue cycling. I don't mind waiting i'm just anxious to get my fish :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. For now ill dose with fish food and grab ammonia next week (payday hence the waiting) and continue cycling. I don't mind waiting i'm just anxious to get my fish :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Get used to the anxious waiting game! Everything is much slower in salt water in order to be successful.

I'm acclimating my tank to some new lights and I have it scheduled to occur over a 2 month period. Overkill? Maybe. But it insures gradual changes and stability to the tank inhabitants

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get used to the anxious waiting game! Everything is much slower in salt water in order to be successful.

I'm acclimating my tank to some new lights and I have it scheduled to occur over a 2 month period. Overkill? Maybe. But it insures gradual changes and stability to the tank inhabitants
for sure. rather do it right than wrong and spend $$$ for my mistakes

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a616fc7d-50ad-4069-86a2-8d700d4b6eb8.jpg

Thank you everyone for your help. I did finally pick up ammonia chloride and paired with StartXLM, I am finally seeing a cycle happen. I am hoping to have it even out by end of next month if not sooner (mainly due to ammonia being higher than 2.0ppm). So excited to see Nitrites :star-struck:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back