First Frag Tank Questions

djbetterly

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
907
Reaction score
265
Location
Nutley, NJ (AKA - The Nut)
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extra 20gallon tank at home so I thought I'd consider setting up a frag tank.

First question...is it a bad idea to plumb it into my current setup? Current setup is a 50gallon with chiller, doser, skimmer, and fuge.

Second question...if I plumb into current system do I need to cycle the tank on its own before hand? Does it need any sort of rock?

Any further suggestions?
 
I'd guess that if you're going to plumb it into your current system you wouldn't need to cycle it. It would just be adding more water volume.
 
You could go either way.A frag tank plumbed into the display tank will share everything with your main tank.Including water quality,stability and pest.The nice thing about having a separate frag tank is that you will have a area to quarantine new arrivals.It is also a nice way to keep back-up copies of your main colonies.Just in case something should happen to the primary system.
I prefer to have live rock in my frag tanks because I rely heavily on biological filtration.Just be certain that the rock is free of pest.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new