First Hard Plumb: Looking for help

TJAVOREK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone, first time putting a manifold together and would love any opinions/comments:

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the questions i have are: 1. Are you valving the return to force water into your manifold or relying on the fact that it is below the DT to give it an advantage in flow to compensate for the back pressure that going through the manifold and reactors will cause? 2. Are you expecting to set up your return and forget it or are you anticipating frequent balancing adjustments. 3. what GPH rates are recommended for the (a)reactors and (b)UV, (c)what flow rate are you wanting for your return, and what flow will you get from the M2? 4. With the manifold fittings and valves what flow loss will you experience? the loop might reduce the flow loss by increasing the pipe volume.
My sump is in the basement and i have a Tee valved into my return for future manifold usage. I am using only half of my pump for return and can ramp that up for future needs. the bean animal seems to need the full siphon valve adjusted regularly as it is so the manifold will just be part of that balancing act when i add it. if either of your reactors will have a reduction in flow over time it will affect the other components, do you have any flow monitoring capability? big fun, eh?
i look forward to learning from your experiences!

OP
OP
TJAVOREK

TJAVOREK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the questions i have are: 1. Are you valving the return to force water into your manifold or relying on the fact that it is below the DT to give it an advantage in flow to compensate for the back pressure that going through the manifold and reactors will cause? 2. Are you expecting to set up your return and forget it or are you anticipating frequent balancing adjustments. 3. what GPH rates are recommended for the (a)reactors and (b)UV, (c)what flow rate are you wanting for your return, and what flow will you get from the M2? 4. With the manifold fittings and valves what flow loss will you experience? the loop might reduce the flow loss by increasing the pipe volume.
My sump is in the basement and i have a Tee valved into my return for future manifold usage. I am using only half of my pump for return and can ramp that up for future needs. the bean animal seems to need the full siphon valve adjusted regularly as it is so the manifold will just be part of that balancing act when i add it. if either of your reactors will have a reduction in flow over time it will affect the other components, do you have any flow monitoring capability? big fun, eh?
i look forward to learning from your experiences!

I have it set up for the ball valve teed off the return line to control the flow through the manifold. Reading through some threads it seems like if I set it up this way there will be frequent adjustments needed as the manifold will effect the return so I am considering separating the manifold from the return and running its own pump. The GPG are 400: UV, 200ish media reactors, and 800 suggested for the tank and the Vectra M2 is a max of 2000 GPH which is another reason I might go with a second pump. I dont have any flow meters in the build currently. Thoughts?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it several ways over the years. Inline with the return works, but reduces flow to the tank, and any change to any of the ports changes all of them. Then I tried a single pump just for the manifold and although that works better, changing one still affects the others. I now use a separate small pump for each reactor, sized for the amount of flow it needs. Yes, there is a little more plumbing in the sump area, but with a little planning it can be easily routed to keep it out of the way.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it set up for the ball valve teed off the return line to control the flow through the manifold. Reading through some threads it seems like if I set it up this way there will be frequent adjustments needed as the manifold will effect the return so I am considering separating the manifold from the return and running its own pump. The GPG are 400: UV, 200ish media reactors, and 800 suggested for the tank and the Vectra M2 is a max of 2000 GPH which is another reason I might go with a second pump. I dont have any flow meters in the build currently. Thoughts?
what are you going to run in the reactors?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it several ways over the years. Inline with the return works, but reduces flow to the tank, and any change to any of the ports changes all of them. Then I tried a single pump just for the manifold and although that works better, changing one still affects the others. I now use a separate small pump for each reactor, sized for the amount of flow it needs. Yes, there is a little more plumbing in the sump area, but with a little planning it can be easily routed to keep it out of the way.
this is a great solution if there is enough room in the sump.

OP
OP
TJAVOREK

TJAVOREK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure I would have enough room for three pumps as its already pretty tight in the sump.

Photo Nov 29, 4 23 00 PM.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back