Noob needs plumbing advice

dR3ws3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am very new to the reefing world, and dove in with a pretty large first tank (obviously not the monster many here have), an AquaForest 790, ( 155 gallon display). I've been spending all my time researching rather than doing unfortunately, but I want to work on plumbing. The tank comes with a pre-plumbed set of pvc pipes, but I'm thinking about putting in a manifold. I've watched a few videos and get the general premise, in creating a main line with several valves for connecting various reactors or UV sterilizers. What I was kind of wondering about was why everyone dumped the exit of the reactors back into the sump? Is this more of a simplicity thing? I wondered if anyone has tried a second "outlet manifold" where all the reactors pump back into before going back into the display tank. Otherwise, you are kind of recirculating the reactor outlet water back into the sump and through the reactor again. I do realize it is not all going back through the reactor, but seems kind of inefficient for lack of a better term. Is an exit manifold where all the reactors flow into too complicated or too expensive? I imagine you would probably need to double up on valving, which is a significant expense.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The sump they provide and the cabinet, make finding space for reactors quite a pita too. The cabinet has two areas separated by a plywood wall. The sump fits pretty snuggly in one area, but the other is probably mostly for controllers and electrical equipment, which I understand is pretty good to keep seperate :). Makes finding an area to put the reactor vessels very challenging.

Finally, is it feasible to drill in my sump to change the ATO section into a refugium? Do people often drill and reconfigure their sumps?

Thanks,

Drew

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am very new to the reefing world, and dove in with a pretty large first tank (obviously not the monster many here have), an AquaForest 790, ( 155 gallon display). I've been spending all my time researching rather than doing unfortunately, but I want to work on plumbing. The tank comes with a pre-plumbed set of pvc pipes, but I'm thinking about putting in a manifold. I've watched a few videos and get the general premise, in creating a main line with several valves for connecting various reactors or UV sterilizers. What I was kind of wondering about was why everyone dumped the exit of the reactors back into the sump? Is this more of a simplicity thing? I wondered if anyone has tried a second "outlet manifold" where all the reactors pump back into before going back into the display tank. Otherwise, you are kind of recirculating the reactor outlet water back into the sump and through the reactor again. I do realize it is not all going back through the reactor, but seems kind of inefficient for lack of a better term. Is an exit manifold where all the reactors flow into too complicated or too expensive? I imagine you would probably need to double up on valving, which is a significant expense.

The sump they provide and the cabinet, make finding space for reactors quite a pita too. The cabinet has two areas separated by a plywood wall. The sump fits pretty snuggly in one area, but the other is probably mostly for controllers and electrical equipment, which I understand is pretty good to keep seperate :). Makes finding an area to put the reactor vessels very challenging.

Finally, is it feasible to drill in my sump to change the ATO section into a refugium? Do people often drill and reconfigure their sumps?

Thanks,

Drew
What I was kind of wondering about was why everyone dumped the exit of the reactors back into the sump? Is this more of a simplicity thing?

Two points. Yes, it's much simpler. And it allows that exit water to mix with tank water before it gets into the DT.

I wondered if anyone has tried a second "outlet manifold" where all the reactors pump back into before going back into the display tank. Otherwise, you are kind of recirculating the reactor outlet water back into the sump and through the reactor again. I do realize it is not all going back through the reactor, but seems kind of inefficient for lack of a better term.

Yes it is a bit inefficient, but I wouldn't want exit water to go directly into the DT.

Is an exit manifold where all the reactors flow into too complicated or too expensive?

It would be a bit complicated, take up room under the tank (which is often at a premium), and probably doesn't do much for the entire system.

I almost never used a sump or refugium the way the maker intended. But then I always had rather unusual systems... like a 180g tank and a 75g hexagon tank both working through a 180g sump/refugium that was an LFS frag tank (10' x 2' x 18").

skinned, tiled & floating light.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi all,

I am very new to the reefing world,

Thanks,

Drew
For the first venture into a new hobby, my best advice would be to work on the basics.
Keep it as simple as you can.
Sounds like the tank already comes with a setup plumbing system.
Sometimes overly complicated designs can go wildly out of whack if just one part goes south.

KISS method.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back