First large tank. Have some questions.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently I’m running a 55g. It’s not a very nice tank. I got it free years ago, it was run on tap water for years. Since then, all rock and sand has been replaced. It not sumped, but I have a skimmer and hob refugium on it. I either have lots of algae, when nutrients are high, or Dino’s when nutrients are low. I was actually about to get out of the hobby, due to it almost needing to completely started over and moved to my extra 75gallon.

Well a good friend hit me up. A local reefer needs help move a large tank. He offering 2 tanks for the help. The One my buddy wants is a tall 150g. The other tank is a 180g acrylic tank. So we are helping move and re set up his main tank for the next few days. And I’ll be coming home with a massive tank.

Now the 180 gallon isn’t sumped. And it does need some tlc. My plan is to turn my 75gallon into a sump. Making the system close to 250g. I’m going to start fresh. The tank comes with livestock and live rock. My buddy currently has a 400g plus system. He’s going to house the fish and coral for a while. We’re going to clean the tank(buff if needed). Acid bath the rocks, and start from scratch. And when it’s ready my buddy will give me some new coral and fish.

My questions,

Should I just get rid of the fish and coral in my tank with dino’s? I don’t really want to risk spreading them.

What would you consider a requirement in the sump?

My buddy has a skimmer for a light stock 250g, would this be sufficient for a heavy stocked tank if incorporated with a turf scrubber and large refugium?

How often would you do water changes?
My buddies tank is 400+ gallon and he rarely does water changes, granted that system is probably 175gallons worth of sumps, multiple skimmer and 3 refugiums.

What other advise would you recommend for someone who has never kept a tank this large?

I want a good tank, and I believe a larger tank will be easier to keep stable then a non sumped 55g. (It’s been terrible, and I don’t think it’s me, I have lots of cardina breeding tanks and high tech planted tank). I

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, once I saw free I was hooked.

A few thoughts.
The same basic concepts of the 55 translate to the 180. The first difference comes to mind like you mentioned is equipment/set up. Can’t answer skimmer question with its specifics.

You mentioned the 180 doesn’t have a sump. If it’s not drilled my first thought would be to put the time in up front restoring the tank. Clean, buff, water test, drill for plumbing. Then you can plumb in the sump

By get rid of the livestock what do you mean? I would use the time setting up the tank to qt the fish and coral. Maybe dip the coral also.

Water changes are up to you. It can range from weekly to monthly. I change 30% in my 180 every 4 weeks. If you were having high nutrients prior, a more aggressive cleaning schedule may help. It’s easier to raise than lower in my opinion.

This is a good guide. I refer to it alot

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, once I saw free I was hooked.

A few thoughts.
The same basic concepts of the 55 translate to the 180. The first difference comes to mind like you mentioned is equipment/set up. Can’t answer skimmer question with its specifics.

You mentioned the 180 doesn’t have a sump. If it’s not drilled my first thought would be to put the time in up front restoring the tank. Clean, buff, water test, drill for plumbing. Then you can plumb in the sump

By get rid of the livestock what do you mean? I would use the time setting up the tank to qt the fish and coral. Maybe dip the coral also.

Water changes are up to you. It can range from weekly to monthly. I change 30% in my 180 every 4 weeks. If you were having high nutrients prior, a more aggressive cleaning schedule may help. It’s easier to raise than lower in my opinion.

This is a good guide. I refer to it alot

Not going to lie, the skimmer is rigged up. But I actually got a new skimmer tonight with the 180, I’ll be bringing it home on Thursday.

The 180 is already drilled. I’ll be setting up a 75g for the sump, a new skimmer is on the list. Along with a new return pump. I’ll be taking my time with this tank. My buddy will be housing the fish untell my tank is ready. I’ll also probably seed my tank with his.

I’ll follow you advise and set up a qt tank. I’ll use new water and slowly adjust the fish. Probably dip the coral. At with point I’ll then watch for dino’s. If none are seen I’ll send them home with my friend.

Here’s a pic of the new tank.
37B462C6-4142-4905-86AC-A5BC5F955063.png

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been on rodi water for over 2 years. I guess I didn’t mention that in the post. I spent the first year slowly swapping it. It’s also why I replaced the rocks. In case anything g leached into them

OP
OP
Bugeater281

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 180 is pest-free, I would keep the rocks wet vs starting over

Haven’t got a good look into the tank due to all the coralline on the front panel. I know it has quite a few green majong nems and some aptasia. I was planning on saving some rocks in a 20 gallon tank to keep them going and watch for pest. At which point if it looks good after a few months I’ll seed the tank with it. Unfortunately this tank is being ran on just canister filters and hob. It has no sump, and I don’t think it’s got a skimmer either. Somehow the guy has bird nest corals the size of basketballs and some even bigger softies.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just saw this post. I've had my battles with dino's in the past as well. Took an over-sized UV sterilizer to really get a handle on it along with dosing Nitrate and Phosphate, but that's a different thread :)

To your question, "Should I just get rid of the fish and coral in my tank with dino’s? I don’t really want to risk spreading them."

I would make sure friend who's holding your livestock from that tank full understands the risks of picking up your type of dino's. Fish are not an issue, but corals or rock or any tank water can carry them over (ostreopsis, amphidinium) if they aren't the sandbed (coolia) type. I personally would start entirely clean or at least quarantine before re-stocking. Sounds like you had as much of a headache as I did, so why risk it?

Hope all works out the best for you!

Ian

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back