First Reef Tank

Matthew Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! This is my first attempt at a reef tank. Used to have a fresh water tank years ago until we lost power for 10 days (in the winter) and lost everything.
Current tank has been up and running for 10 months now. Can't wait to see how the next 10 go. =D Thus far, I have faded any issues. Just recently started putting my corals from my quarantine to my main display. Have only a few more to place. Pic below is a bit old, as there's no coral in the main yet. Also on 2nd batch of corals now. Removed that 1 peice of rock in center, too.
Will start posting a bit more of my experiences and journey as the tank and inhabitants grow.

Main Tank (also running 20 gal quarantine on right)
Custom built stand & Canopy. 150 gal w 2 back corner overflows.
Sump: Trigger Systems Crystal ELITE - 36"
Lights: 3 Kessil 360W
Water Pump: EcoTech Marine Vectra M1 Aquarium DC
Protein Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT
Heaters: (x2) Eheim Jager TruTemp 300 Watt
Pumps: IceCap 3K Gyre Generation Flow Pump & (x2) Hydor Koralia 3G Third Generation
Avast Vibe (started running Zeo system)
Tunze Osmolator ATO
20170716_123726.jpg

Current Stock
Fish: 3 Blue Reef Chromis, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 2 Black Snowflake Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Yellow Eye Kole Tang, & last but not least 1 Purple Tang.
Corals (all frags): Green Tip Torch, Tyree Brick Red Cyphastrea, Pink Goniopora, Kingpin Chalice, Red Mint Blastomussa, Green Duncan, ORA Phonape Birdsnest Coral, Blueberry Acanthastrea Echinata, Australian Ultra Acanthastrea (x2), Neon Green Micromussa Lord, Dendrophyllia, Bejeweled Favites, Blood Diamond Favites, & Orange Yuma.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! I'm also starting my own reef and ditching freshwater except mine doesn't have water in it yet! Still trying to decide on lights. I love how your qt looks so nice and the stand matches your display. How have you been liking the kessils?

OP
OP
Matthew Hood

Matthew Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My Dad built the stand for the main tank and I built the QT stand to match. Loving the Kessils for sure. Definitely worth the $$$. I also bought the Kessil controller to go with them. Super easy to use and program. Only beef with the Kessils is I need to buy separate moonlighting. I may buy an Apex controller and get theirs, though. Undecided at this point.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Really nice looking tanks. However, the QT should be at least 10' away from the main tank to prevent transmission of disease through the air as water vapor.

OP
OP
Matthew Hood

Matthew Hood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback! @Big G. Fortunately I haven't run into any issues. Questions: Is it actually water vapor, or is it more water splashes from overflows or something? Is it a common occurrence to have a transmission from 1 tank to the next, if they're too close? In my case, assuming it would also be more likely for the main to transmit to the QT?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back