First Saltwater Aquarium - Caribbean Biotope

mromano2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up swimming, snorkeling, and diving in Florida. I moved away from the ocean almost 15 years ago and have been trying to find a way to stay in touch with the water which was such an impactful part of my youth. After always researching and talking about it but never taking action, I made the decision to start a saltwater tank. I'll document my journey here and would love feedback from all of you!

I purchased a 45 gallon Red Sea Max E170 off of Facebook Marketplace (no sump) with all of the standard parts plus a few upgrades and about 40 pounds of formerly live rock (was sitting in a garage for about 3 months). Took a decent amount of cleaning to get it ready, but I think I'm close.

Return Pump: Stock 2150 lph
Light: AI Prime HD
Skimmer: Stock MSK 900 Rear Sump Protein Skimmer
ATO: Innovative Marine Hydrofill Ti ATO
Wavemaker: Jebao SOW-4 Wave Maker

Corals seem a bit intimidating to dive right into, so my plan is to start with a FOWLR tank for about 6 months to get into a routine and stabilize all the basics. Then I'll start making upgrades to my water and testing kits to make it coral ready.

From a stocking standpoint, I'm thinking the following. Anything you'd recommend for a Caribbean biotope?

- Neon goby (x2)
- Yellow-headed jawfish
- Royal Gramma
- Blue Chromis (x3)
- Maybe a juvenile atlantic blue tang (with the understanding that I'd only keep him for a year or 2 before he'd outgrow the tank)
- Pederson cleaner shrimp
- Peppermint shrimp (still need to figure out if these will get along with the pederson)

I've got ~35 pounds of live sand and a couple pounds of live rock from TBS coming that I'll use to augment or replace the existing rock I have. But I'll use that to start my cycle and add in a chromis or 2 from my LFS in a week or 2 after that.

Here's the initial aquascape plan, but it's subject to change once I see the live rock I'm getting. Any suggestions?

IMG_7050.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! You might need a few more caves with that many fish. You’ll need a minimum of 3-4” of sand for the jawfish, the rule of thumb for sand is 1 lb per gallon per inch. So, you probably need 100l-135 lbs of sand (tank dimensions do matter for sand depth).

Maybe consider some macro algae and gorgonians from Florida. Below are two good sites for sourcing FL stock:

Here are some pics of stuff I got from Gulf Coast Ecosystems:
IMG_2414.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpeg
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2435.jpeg
IMG_2411.jpeg
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2402.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg

Last edited:

farfromsea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already have one, but a lid will keep the jawfish from jumping out lol. I loved mine! I had a mix of finer sand and crushed coral so they could build tunnels and they liked an empty shell to cover their home at night

Aquascape is nice that you have!

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! You might need a few more caves with that many fish. You’ll need a minimum of 3-4” of sand for the jawfish, the rule of thumb for sand is 1 lb per gallon per inch. So, you probably need 100l-135 lbs of sand (tank dimensions do matter for sand depth).

Maybe consider some macro algae and gorgonians from Florida. Below are two good sites for sourcing FL stock:

Here are some pics of stuff I got from Gulf Coast Ecosystems:
IMG_2414.jpeg
IMG_2413.jpeg
IMG_2412.jpeg
IMG_2435.jpeg
IMG_2411.jpeg
IMG_2415.jpeg
IMG_2402.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg
Your stuff is always so incredible!

OP
OP
M

mromano2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already have one, but a lid will keep the jawfish from jumping out lol. I loved mine! I had a mix of finer sand and crushed coral so they could build tunnels and they liked an empty shell to cover their home at night

Aquascape is nice that you have!
Definitely. I’ve got a lid ready and should be safe on that front. And I have a few shells from Florida as well that I’m planning to add in, so that should work out well too

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into tampa bay saltwater rock. Comes with carribean life already loaded on it. Also will instantly cycle your tank

OP
OP
M

mromano2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into tampa bay saltwater rock. Comes with carribean life already loaded on it. Also will instantly cycle your tank
That’s exactly where I’m getting all my sand and some additional rock! All of the reviews look incredible and I can’t wait to see what comes through this week.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 98 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back