Secondhand Fluval Evo 13.5 - First Saltwater tank

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I just got my brand new (albeit used) saltwater tank+many MANY goodies to have me setup for the first year. The hope is to start cycling it this coming week. It passed the leak test twice so I am confident it will hold. I am hoping to get a new heater, just something smaller I can place in the back. I also need to redo the lid as the original fish netting has ripped and needs a new one. Chaeto will also be placed in the back once tank is cycled (hence the glow light) and my LFS has got be hooked up with all my salty needs. Will be picking up live sand, live rock, saltwater, and test kit to get this ball rolling. I hope I can continue updating with how this tank will look in a year. Tank will go in the back area where my current hospital tank is positioned.

311db948-fab6-44b2-b085-0910bb031252.jpg
d57e044d-e8fd-47be-8a01-bca46acc346f.jpg

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1fd939e3-74e6-4f49-95cf-4815bfdd49e6.jpg

I decided to remove the damaged vinyl that wraps around the filtration area. I am planning to but fully black on the sides but leave the back visibly open so I can any address issues I need maintaining. I also scrubbed and scraped any algea off. I am still working on it. Currently it is doing a 20/80 vinegar soak to remove the remaining algea and scum and scrubbing any parts that need it. Lots of fine scratches aren't showing up when filled with water but there is a major (not deep) scratch on the side. Decided that the frag shelf will "cover" it. Also realized I need a whole new stand since there is no place to put it so will be splurging on a new furniture piece that can hold up this tank. Will be fixing the kraken top netting this weekend and waiting on supplies for my filtration media. May need to upgrade pump as well (current one is VERY noisy and I kind of hate it)
0276206f-e131-4ef7-83d2-2d619c7d7e40.jpg

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vinegar soak was a success. I put new blackout vinyl on the sides to hide the pump. Pump was upgraded to Rio 200GPH. Will probably remove middle compartment for a slimmer heater with chaeto. Ordered a steel stand that can hold 400lbs each level. Hoping to start cycling my tank this weeked :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Still need to fix the mesh top for tank. Purchases this week will include:
New Heater
Sand
Live Rock
Salt Water
Distilled Water
Test kit

Will eventually see if I need an ATO and a dehumdifier for the room :eek:

771c1e91-1557-412d-9e0f-ddc740b29cf1.jpg
d0e82ace-6fdb-41cd-a8d3-86c88ba7fb4a.jpg

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250a7478-1d7b-4158-af93-2ea07d5c4943.jpg

Started cycling after my shelving came in. Holds up to 1600lbs (400lb per shelf so I will be okay) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: doing a fishless cycle with live sand and dry live rock and ghost feeding. RO/DI water and salt water will be getting purchased from LFS. Already realizing I will probably need a ATO with how much water I am losing and a wavemaker I don't feel I am getting enough movement. I will making these big purchases in a few weeks. The next think will be getting some Hanna testers. Hoping to get some clowns in the next 4-6 weeks

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking tank!! I have the baby brother 7.5g plumbed into my display system. Neat little tanks.

That shelf gives me all sorts of anxiety though, is it that particle board those shelving units usually come with? That's a lot of load in the middle of that shelf, and all of the weight is being carried by that thin shelf material. Please consider making your own piece out of plywood that extends over the tops of the metal frame which is what's rated for that 400 lbs. Hopefully I'm wrong and that shelf is metal or something.

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice looking tank!! I have the baby brother 7.5g plumbed into my display system. Neat little tanks.

That shelf gives me all sorts of anxiety though, is it that particle board those shelving units usually come with? That's a lot of load in the middle of that shelf, and all of the weight is being carried by that thin shelf material. Please consider making your own piece out of plywood that extends over the tops of the metal frame which is what's rated for that 400 lbs. Hopefully I'm wrong and that shelf is metal or something.
Its metal shelving and has supports underneath each shelf :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back