OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different ways to cycle the tank. I feed my tank like there are fish in there 2-3 times a week. When ammonia is at 2ppm. Stop feeding. The bacteria you added is just a kick start. It needs to be fed with a source of ammonia. It is more humane to do a fish less cycle. We used to use damsels... then return them after the cycle
Ok I dumped some food in there. Probably too much but it's a big ol' can and it's a little too easy to dump. Anyways I'm hesitant to put any more in there since that should be quite a bit of nutrients and ammonia. But yeah, thanks for giving me the push I needed to do that. I think after I let that stew in there for a few days the tank should be ready for the fish. They may not love it at first but it should be ok.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any bright ideas about how I can get the chlorine out of these rocks? I dumped in a ton of dechlorinator but I still smell the chlorine on the rocks.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody said let it dry and the chlorine bonds will break. I'm gonna try that!

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I dumped some food in there. Probably too much but it's a big ol' can and it's a little too easy to dump. Anyways I'm hesitant to put any more in there since that should be quite a bit of nutrients and ammonia. But yeah, thanks for giving me the push I needed to do that. I think after I let that stew in there for a few days the tank should be ready for the fish. They may not love it at first but it should be ok.
Test for ammonia tomorrow

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a matter of good or bad, it's just a process and you will learn by monitoring it. You will see a spike in ammonia for a while until the bacteria population starts to grow. Then it will seem to disappear. At that time you will see a spike in nitrite. When that goes back to zero do a water change and you are ready for fish. You can test once a day to watch or once a week. Up to you.

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a matter of good or bad, it's just a process and you will learn by monitoring it. You will see a spike in ammonia for a while until the bacteria population starts to grow. Then it will seem to disappear. At that time you will see a spike in nitrite. When that goes back to zero do a water change and you are ready for fish. You can test once a day to watch or once a week. Up to you.
Yeah, but this is a very specific time! The day after I put food in there.

BTW, the rocks situation is looking good! I put them out in the open air with a fan on them to dry them off faster...I already can't smell the chlorine! I think I'm gonna let them dry completely though, give them a good last sniff, and then finally I can put them in my tank! 5 days it's taken me to do this!

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I did the tests. Ammonia, nitrite, and even nitrate, were all 0. Especially the last two. I'd say if I have anything in the tank at all it's a bit of ammonia. But boy is it ever the smallest amount there ever was!

That means it's ready for fish, right? xD

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I did the tests. Ammonia, nitrite, and even nitrate, were all 0. Especially the last two. I'd say if I have anything in the tank at all it's a bit of ammonia. But boy is it ever the smallest amount there ever was!

That means it's ready for fish, right? xD
Hey! That's what you want to see! However I am reserved because I haven't seen evidence of a full cycle. I do not have experience with dry rock and bottled bacteria. From what I have read you should be good to go. In your situation I think I would add the fish and test daily being prepared to add more bacteria if ammonia spikes. Your call!

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! That's what you want to see! However I am reserved because I haven't seen evidence of a full cycle. I do not have experience with dry rock and bottled bacteria. From what I have read you should be good to go. In your situation I think I would add the fish and test daily being prepared to add more bacteria if ammonia spikes. Your call!
Awesome! Finally I can go get my fish! I will be going to the old fish store shortly! I think I'll just get 2 clownfish and that's it, maybe a firefish later.

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Finally I can go get my fish! I will be going to the old fish store shortly! I think I'll just get 2 clownfish and that's it, maybe a firefish later.
My girlfriend's fish!
Screenshot_20190503-134100_Gallery.jpeg

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get my chaeto, how should I do the lighting? Day, night, all the time?

OP
OP
K

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, with this system: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumpless-ato-auto-top-off-system-xp-aqua.html

What kind of container goes along with it? I saw people in the comments talking about making a tight air seal....so not everything would work then. They should just sell the reservoir with it if it's that sensitive. Isn't it just a line that goes into a big thing of water...then it pumps it up into the tank when it needs to? Seems like that's all it needs to be.

Back