First saltwater tank. It begins with lots of soy sauce...

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got the water added but now have a bunch of noob questions. The biggest issue is the constant gurgling from my drain line into my sump. I didn't realize I needed to add a gate valve to the return line. My local shop sold me this tank and gave me no guidance at all. The instructions that came with the tank were pathetic. It had all flexible lines for the return and drain. I decided to hard plumb the drain but kept the flexible line for the returns. I added a quick and dirty ball valve to the one drain and it has helped some and I also only have my return pump running at 25%. I have attached a video of the sump and gurgling sound. Other than that my ph probe on my apex is not calibrating. I tried multiple times and it just says it failed. Not sure what to do there. All that said I'm glad to actually have the tank full. Though I must say this is frekin stressful starting out and hoping nothing leaks! Fingers crossed we are still dry! I also wanted to know when I should start my skimmer and also when to start my carbon reactor.
20230620_212727.jpg
20230620_212825.jpg

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after many trials and even more errors I finally have things set up. Had a minor disaster and water went all over my floor because I didn't use good quality shut off valves but that has since been rectified. My return hose decided it didn't want to stay attache anymore and well you know what that does. Luckily I was right next to it when it popped off. I have since hard plumbed the return and put plastic hose clamps on any flexible tube. I have started to cycle the tank using Dr. Tims one and only and should be able to get some fish in it within the next 5 days or so. Here is a photo of the tank as it sits now.
20230627_151009.jpg

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
as someone who came from freshwater as well— i have 7 tanks total, 6 of which are still freshwater, i can totally understand where you're at, and where you're coming from! im only about 3 years into saltwater and reefing, and it's honestly, a CONSTANT learning experience. you will never stop learning, and finding out things, you didnt know before, regardless of if you're 2 years in, or 20 years in

it's a fun adventure, but i guess i can just tell you this— make sure you have someone guiding you, or at least someone to consult in, that you absolutely, without a doubt, TRUST. someone that has your best interest in mind, and someone who will look out for you, who has experience in saltwater and reefing. so, dont always trust what the big box stores tell you to do and/or buy. they're usually always out to make the most amount of money off of you, as possible, and will get you to buy something that they know will either fail after so long, or die. that's how they keep you coming back. and then instead of taking blame or taking responsibility, they will tell you its YOUi.e. your water chemistry is off, you didnt plumb this right, you didnt dose that right, etc.

but once you get going? ohhhh muh goid... it's very addicting. just be prepared to spend more money on everything from fish, to coral, to inverts, as compared to what you're used to spending on freshwater fish and whatnot. there is a substantial price difference, but somehow... the saltwater prices, also translate into a more rewarding experience, especially when whatever you purchased, starts to THRIVE! :D

also, one last thing to add to this novella of a comment, if you're still reading, lol— if you EVER have any questions, concerns, or issues, please, please, please, do not hesitate to DM me! i know it can be intimidating to ask beginner questions, sometimes, especially to OG's who sometimes, will even laugh at you for being a noob, or assume that its "common sense" you should already know. im saying all of this (and everything above) from genuine, first hand experience! :)

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
"... I also wanted to know when I should start my skimmer and also when to start my carbon reactor."
it might... and i say this with just slight hesitation— it might be okay for you to start your skimmer now. it will need a period of breaking-in, and some fine tuning to get to that sweet spot where your bubbles are just right and your skim mate (waste) is the consistency that you'd like.

... same goes for your carbon reactor :) keep us updated!

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as someone who came from freshwater as well— i have 7 tanks total, 6 of which are still freshwater, i can totally understand where you're at, and where you're coming from! im only about 3 years into saltwater and reefing, and it's honestly, a CONSTANT learning experience. you will never stop learning, and finding out things, you didnt know before, regardless of if you're 2 years in, or 20 years in

it's a fun adventure, but i guess i can just tell you this— make sure you have someone guiding you, or at least someone to consult in, that you absolutely, without a doubt, TRUST. someone that has your best interest in mind, and someone who will look out for you, who has experience in saltwater and reefing. so, dont always trust what the big box stores tell you to do and/or buy. they're usually always out to make the most amount of money off of you, as possible, and will get you to buy something that they know will either fail after so long, or die. that's how they keep you coming back. and then instead of taking blame or taking responsibility, they will tell you its YOUi.e. your water chemistry is off, you didnt plumb this right, you didnt dose that right, etc.

but once you get going? ohhhh muh goid... it's very addicting. just be prepared to spend more money on everything from fish, to coral, to inverts, as compared to what you're used to spending on freshwater fish and whatnot. there is a substantial price difference, but somehow... the saltwater prices, also translate into a more rewarding experience, especially when whatever you purchased, starts to THRIVE! :D

also, one last thing to add to this novella of a comment, if you're still reading, lol— if you EVER have any questions, concerns, or issues, please, please, please, do not hesitate to DM me! i know it can be intimidating to ask beginner questions, sometimes, especially to OG's who sometimes, will even laugh at you for being a noob, or assume that its "common sense" you should already know. im saying all of this (and everything above) from genuine, first hand experience! :)
Thanks for the advice and I will say it is much more expensive but everytime I see someone else's tank and look at all the amazing colors it just blows me away and that's not even mine. I can't wait to see what its going to be like when I see it in my tank. Just having the ability to have a tiny bit of ocean in my house in the middle of the country is amazing. Also learning about all the chemistry and biology is pretty fun as well. I have heard keeping a saltwater tank isn't about taking care of fish, its more about managing water. I hope I can find someone local to me that can help guide me and thanks a lot for the offer to DM you. I might take you up on that!

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the advice and I will say it is much more expensive but everytime I see someone else's tank and look at all the amazing colors it just blows me away and that's not even mine. I can't wait to see what its going to be like when I see it in my tank. Just having the ability to have a tiny bit of ocean in my house in the middle of the country is amazing. Also learning about all the chemistry and biology is pretty fun as well. I have heard keeping a saltwater tank isn't about taking care of fish, its more about managing water. I hope I can find someone local to me that can help guide me and thanks a lot for the offer to DM you. I might take you up on that!
you're absolutely welcome!
im totally an open book, and also a sponge when it comes to learning all things aquatic, so i retain almost everything i learn. im practically a walking zoanthid/palythoa encyclopedia. lol!

also, i have to ask— soy sauce tank?!
i love the name! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: lol. how'd you come up with it? :D

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're absolutely welcome!
im totally an open book, and also a sponge when it comes to learning all things aquatic, so i retain almost everything i learn. im practically a walking zoanthid/palythoa encyclopedia. lol!

also, i have to ask— soy sauce tank?!
i love the name! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: lol. how'd you come up with it? :D
So if you look back at the beginning of my tank build I got two 55 gallon drums off craigslist that originally had soy sauce. The stickers are still on the tanks. I thought it was pretty funny so that is the official name of my tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So if you look back at the beginning of my tank build I got two 55 gallon drums off craigslist that originally had soy sauce. The stickers are still on the tanks. I thought it was pretty funny so that is the official name of my tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
ohhhh my gawd— that's hilarious! i love it! dengggg, i had no idea that soy sauce came in those monstrous drums! :face-with-open-mouth: that's pretty awesome, though! very, very, appropriate name, too!

whenever you get fish, you'll have to name each one after a brand of soy sauce, then. kikkoman, yamsa, san-j silver boy, pearl, wan-ja... etc. :face-with-tears-of-joy: (i just googled those, by the way.)

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhh my gawd— that's hilarious! i love it! dengggg, i had no idea that soy sauce came in those monstrous drums! :face-with-open-mouth: that's pretty awesome, though! very, very, appropriate name, too!

whenever you get fish, you'll have to name each one after a brand of soy sauce, then. kikkoman, yamsa, san-j silver boy, pearl, wan-ja... etc. :face-with-tears-of-joy: (i just googled those, by the way.)
That is a perfect idea I love it! I got the drums for 15 bucks each from a manufacturer of salsa and oyster sauce. It for sure beats paying like 200 bucks each for one of those fancy tanks.

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That is a perfect idea I love it! I got the drums for 15 bucks each from a manufacturer of salsa and oyster sauce. It for sure beats paying like 200 bucks each for one of those fancy tanks.
holy crapplesauce! yeah, id definitely say so! did you find them on craigslist or something? now im tempted to go searching for something similar, to be able to mix water for my 90 gallon!

how long could water last in one of those drums? just out of curiosity. lol.

OP
OP
Wasteoftime247

Wasteoftime247

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy crapplesauce! yeah, id definitely say so! did you find them on craigslist or something? now im tempted to go searching for something similar, to be able to mix water for my 90 gallon!

how long could water last in one of those drums? just out of curiosity. lol.
Check craigslist they are all over the place here in Missouri but I am sure it's that way most places. I did some research and didn't see any reason that you couldn't keep water in there indefinitely. I also bought two plumbing access panels and cut a hole in the top of the drums for access. I just used silicone to keep them in place. The access panel i got is just big enough so that I can put a utility pump with a 25' hose on it to transfer RO/DI water to my saltwater tank. I also have a apex DOS set up for automatic water changes that feeds into my saltwater drum. I also just bought a cheap 25 dollar powerhead from amazon that I put in the bottom of the tank to mix the salt into the water. That along with a 75 watt heater I turn on the day before I do a water change and all I have to do from there is push a button and it does the work for me. All this said everything I am telling you is hypothetical at this point as I haven't done a water change yet! But fingers crossed :grimacing-face:

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Check craigslist they are all over the place here in Missouri but I am sure it's that way most places. I did some research and didn't see any reason that you couldn't keep water in there indefinitely. I also bought two plumbing access panels and cut a hole in the top of the drums for access. I just used silicone to keep them in place. The access panel i got is just big enough so that I can put a utility pump with a 25' hose on it to transfer RO/DI water to my saltwater tank. I also have a apex DOS set up for automatic water changes that feeds into my saltwater drum. I also just bought a cheap 25 dollar powerhead from amazon that I put in the bottom of the tank to mix the salt into the water. That along with a 75 watt heater I turn on the day before I do a water change and all I have to do from there is push a button and it does the work for me. All this said everything I am telling you is hypothetical at this point as I haven't done a water change yet! But fingers crossed :grimacing-face:
well, seeing as how you said its hypothetical, it actually makes perfect sense, though! you got the brains to work everything out as far as plumbing and routing water wherever you need it. haha!

i doubt you'll actually run into any major-major issues, because from the looks, and sounds of it, you're doing everything right! :star-struck:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back