First Saltwater Tank: What Would You Do Differently?

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
619
Reaction score
571
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first saltwater tank was set up in high school and it was a 10 gallon FOWLR tank. I definitely made a lot of mistakes with it, 1 was using tap water to mix the salt, 2 was the second fish that I put in was a Mandarin Goby 😔 (thankfully my neighbor had a 200 gallon reef tank and he took him in for me), and 3 was the only filter I was using was a small HOB filter that was definitely not providing enough movement or filtration. Needless to say that Tank only lasted about two months before I took it down and rehomed the inhabitants. If I could go back I would definitely start with a larger tank, do more research on the fish I wanted to add in, and get adequate filtration and supplies to take care of it. If you were able to redo your first tank how would you do it differently?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new