First sump! Need advice

Birdman3611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’ve been in the saltwater world for almost 4 years now and setting up my 5th and biggest tank yet. It’s a Red Sea reefer max 425 g2+. Although this is my 5th tank, it’s my first with a sump. Thankfully I’m having help setting it up by my lfs but I’m in the dark with how to run them. Any and all advice on setting it up and keeping the tank running smooth with the sump is much appreciated!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’ve been in the saltwater world for almost 4 years now and setting up my 5th and biggest tank yet. It’s a Red Sea reefer max 425 g2+. Although this is my 5th tank, it’s my first with a sump. Thankfully I’m having help setting it up by my lfs but I’m in the dark with how to run them. Any and all advice on setting it up and keeping the tank running smooth with the sump is much appreciated!
Hello, maybe a picture of the sump so we can see what we are working with.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options available. Some people run filter socks others don't. A skimmer would probably be a good thing. Some people use part of their sumps as a refugium or an algae scrubber other people add live rock or some sort of biological media, or even live sand. Some run calcium reactors and UV sterilizers etc. With all that being said. If you have a good amount of quality live rock within the aquarium with good flow, a filter sock and a protein skimmer would be a great place to start.

OP
OP
B

Birdman3611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, maybe a picture of the sump so we can see what we are working with.
I will have it set up on Thursday so don’t have it yet. Here is a pic of the tank and sump from the website. Comes with skimmer, reef mat, ato, and more.

Attachments

• IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
B

Birdman3611

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options available. Some people run filter socks others don't. A skimmer would probably be a good thing. Some people use part of their sumps as a refugium or an algae scrubber other people add live rock or some sort of biological media, or even live sand. Some run calcium reactors and UV sterilizers etc. With all that being said. If you have a good amount of quality live rock within the aquarium with good flow, a filter sock and a protein skimmer would be a great place to start.
Thanks! I will have a skimmer and reef mat so that will be helpful! One thing I heard is don’t put my heater in the section where the water comes into the sump because if something happens and the water isn’t pumping into the sump it could dry up and cause the heater to malfunction.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the install sould be straight forward and everything already cut and just needs put together. Run the sump as pictured and instructed. The risk of your heater is if you place it in the return area, not the area where water comes in. Only the return area would run dry and the rest of the sump will always have water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back