First sump

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good skimmer for in a sump for a 46 gallon bowfront tank?? Because I've seen people talking about internal skimmers and external which type is better because I've always had hob skimmers made by reef octopus but I don't know what type of skimmer to get for this tank since it has a sump so can anyone help me out with this??

rynosaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about everyone else but my choice was easy I went with an in sump skimmer. Takes up less room underneath the aquarium and if it ever decides to leak it leaks right back into the sump causing no problems.

My sump set up was a 20 gallon aquarium that I personally converted into a simple sump that worked great. Three chambers first water came in from tank and skimmer was in first also, second was a Refugium with chatoe and the theirs housed my return pump.... in between the second and third I had carbon and phosphate reactor wedged between the baffles.

It was simple to maintain and for what I needed worked great!

ccbobafett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the hob reef octopus skimmers. I have found another hob that blows them all away thought and it is able to do both in sump and hob. Look at life reef Venturi skimmers and more then enough filtration for that size tank.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an in sump skimmer just don't know what type to get thstthat's all because I've never had a sump until now so I don't know what type to get that's all

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an in sump skimmer just don't know what type to get thstthat's all because I've never had a sump until now so I don't know what type to get that's all
I'd look into lifereef. Just placed an order for my own skimmer for a 65 gallon.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In sump skimmer would be my choice, as long as you choose one that has the appropriate footprint to fit in the sump. Back when I first started out I bought a skimmer that didn't fit in my sump. So I used that as an excuse to get the wife to let me get a bigger sump :)

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is an external skimmer better or internal skimmer in the way of the pump

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I've read that external skimmers skim better than the internal skimmers

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In sump skimmer would be my choice, as long as you choose one that has the appropriate footprint to fit in the sump. Back when I first started out I bought a skimmer that didn't fit in my sump. So I used that as an excuse to get the wife to let me get a bigger sump :)
To add on to this... I currently have an aquamaxx HOB skimmer and it barely does anything.. constantly finicking with it and half the reason for my putting a sump in is that I need some better skimming.

OP
OP
R

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at them and they look nice and our costy but that's ok as long as it's a nice skimmer

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add on to this... I currently have an aquamaxx HOB skimmer and it barely does anything.. constantly finicking with it and half the reason for my putting a sump in is that I need some better skimming.
my very first skimmer was a seaclone 100 hang on back, and I hated it. Could never get it dialed in correctly. Thats when I upgraded to the Reef Octopus I have now :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back