First tank, just cycled, a couple questions

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I have had my aquarium for about 4 weeks now. I cycled with 2 clowns, and the ammonia and nitrites have been at 0 for a few days. I added a yellow eye tang and a royal Gramma, as well as 4 hermit crabs. The royal Gramma literally has not been seen since it was put in the tank. Not sure where it is. Im hoping hiding in the rocks?

I have a 55 gallon tank, and this morning (1 day after adding new fish), my ammonia was up just slightly, nitrites at 0, and nitrates at 2.

I noticed this morning that the water was a little cloudy (looks clear from front, but from sides there's a haze), and also my PH dropped from like 9 to 7.8. I also did a 10% water change (it has been a week since my last one).

So I guess the reason I'm posting is..... Does any of this sound like something is wrong? Or is this what to expect when adding new fish? All fish seem healthy, swimming, pecking at rocks, eating, etc. Thanks for your help.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the Gramma but I'd say the cloudiness is a bacterial bloom from the bacteria trying to catch up with the new fish/bio-load. In theory it should go away on it's own. Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folks will chime in to correct me if I am off base.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You added a bit to the bio load so a bacterial bloom is pretty normal. Your gramma may be hiding- or it died- contributing to the bacterial bloom. Follow the hermits- if its dead they should be there. Your tank has a while of uglies to grow through as it develops. I would hold off on adding more fish for a while and let things catch up.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%
Back