First Time 60 Gallon Cube Setup Cost

Gam3r01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been doing weeks of reading, and I am still a long ways off from being able to start my first reef tank, but I have some groundwork I would like to expand on before making any commitments. My primary goal is cost effectiveness, with a bigger focus on corals/etc over fish.

The current plan is a 60g cube tank. I would have done a 40g breeder or a 55-60 gallon "regular" tank, but space simply wont allow (37 gallon fresh water and 55 gallon vampire crab paludarium already in the house). the 2x2x2 footprint really sounds nice in terms of stocking to space ratio.

I have seen some 60g cubes locally (LFS and big box stores) for about 200-300 bucks.
I considered a canister filter, but I have seen increasingly recent recommendations that a HOB would still be sufficient if looks are not a concern (aquaclear 110, with a 3d printed surface skimmer attachment). I dont have the desire to do a sump if at all possible. I know the benefits, but space and cost are a concern.
Substrate, live/dead rock, etc will vary on price at time of purchase, but I have a decent idea on the cost/amount needed there.
I know a good bit about freshwater heaters, but I would imagine there might be some different opinions for salt?
Same goes for powerheads/wave makers, I would like to have two on either side of the rear wall to create several eddies in the tank. No idea about specifics, as most google searches turn up several hundred dollar models.
Lighting is beyond me, I have read I dont need anything massive due to the footprint of the tank, but I know I need something special compared to fresh water.

As for stocking, I have not done the research for what corals would go well together but I will do that long before I am ready to buy. The Fiancé has requested clownfish which sounds doable. She also wanted a tang but I have been reading this setup would not be large enough. Salt water shrimp are an option too.
I plan to get the basics installed (some day) and let the tank cycle for several months before attempting any stocking, to help out with the up front cost as well.

OP
OP
G

Gam3r01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also not opposed to an all in one solution, I just don't know much about them.
I prefer DIY to make things how I want in other ventures, but a "plug and play" setup wouldn't bother me here.
I've read about red sea AIOs before, but I don't know how the price compares or the quality.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back