First time marine cycle help.

matt6950

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.

We have been cycling our tank we are only 19 days in but have ran into some unexpected issues with water magically disappearing but think we might have sorted this- the only issue is this has been diluting our water test results when adding more water to the tank.

This is our water test as of today
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ammonia is looking okay but the other two is off the charts. Well near enough.

We have only added ammonia into the tank once, no live fish no live anything other than the bacteria we are adding.

Is it time to add more ammonia into the tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add more ammonia. The nitrate you have present proves that the nitrification had already started.

Do a large water change to get nitrate down around 10 or 20 and you'll be ready for fish

As far as water levels dropping is it evaporation? Top off is a normal thing throughout the life of a tank. This should be done using non saltwater. Before adding fish just be sure to double check salinity to ensure nothing is off.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate reading not accurate in the presence of nitrite. But same deal, presence of nitrite suggests ammonia is being processed.

OP
OP
M

matt6950

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not add more ammonia. The nitrate you have present proves that the nitrification had already started.

Do a large water change to get nitrate down around 10 or 20 and you'll be ready for fish

As far as water levels dropping is it evaporation? Top off is a normal thing throughout the life of a tank. This should be done using non saltwater. Before adding fish just be sure to double check salinity to ensure nothing is off.
Thank you, we shall do that.

It’s not evaporation, talking 3-4 L+ in 1/2 days but since throwing water at the problem it seems to have gone away.

Ty for the reply.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back