First Time QT ???

Steven9194

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time setting up a QT and new to saltwater in general. I read some thread on here to get the setup this way, but would love some more guidance.

I am using unicycled water and was told to do a water change as I see the ammonia level start to rise, which would be about every 2-3 days.

Currently have the QT’s first occupant inside, a tomini tang, who has been in there for 5 days. I have been watching the ammonia test very closely and noticed it started to rise on day 2-3. Then on day 4 started to go back down and now on day 5, reading no ammonia. I’m just confused on why this would be and don’t want to miss anything. The little dude is extremely active and eats without a problem. I’ve listed the equipment bellow.

20 Gallon Long
Seachem Tidal Power 35 HOB Filter
Heater Temp at 76F
Aerator
Seachem Instant Ammonia Reader

IMG_1163.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
First time setting up a QT and new to saltwater in general. I read some thread on here to get the setup this way, but would love some more guidance.

I am using unicycled water and was told to do a water change as I see the ammonia level start to rise, which would be about every 2-3 days.

Currently have the QT’s first occupant inside, a tomini tang, who has been in there for 5 days. I have been watching the ammonia test very closely and noticed it started to rise on day 2-3. Then on day 4 started to go back down and now on day 5, reading no ammonia. I’m just confused on why this would be and don’t want to miss anything. The little dude is extremely active and eats without a problem. I’ve listed the equipment bellow.

20 Gallon Long
Seachem Tidal Power 35 HOB Filter
Heater Temp at 76F
Aerator
Seachem Instant Ammonia Reader

IMG_1163.jpeg
Tank set up looks good. I personally will not rely on a $7 ammonia badge which is also for freshwater to sustain and monitor an initial investment in fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back