FIRST TIME REEFER

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone. This is my first post. Although I've been lingering in the background for quite some time. I am preparing my build list for my first tank. Please take a moment and help me out with a few questions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

First, size requirement and space look like I'll be getting anything from 80-100gal system. With that said, I'd like to know if there are any options for a cheaper build with a sump. I like the waterbox, cade, and red sea systems but man 2 grand makes me angry. Are there any middle of the road options for us more frugal folks?

Second, my only lfs is a petco/petsmart so I'll mostly ne doing online purchases. I would like to QT my livestock before they enter the tank but I'm nervous about setting two tanks up at once. Is there a preferred smaller AIO (like a biocube/fluval) that could serve this purpose? Are there any recommended companies that do QT for you prior to shipping?

Lastly, I'd like to get my wife involved in my hobby but she has a few concerns:
Noise, cost, and smell.
I'd like to absorb some knowledge from the long term refers out there, how do you cut down on those issues as well as keep them excited to help maintain and watch it grow?

Thank you for taking a moment to look, read and respond. Happy reefing everyone

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Here's my thoughts on your questions:

Size: go as big as you can fit and afford. Bigger tanks are generally easier to keep as the increased water volume helps with stability. Stability is key in this game.

Price: You can look for a used tank. Lots of deals to be had on the secondary market. You can use some of the other brands out there (Like Aqueon) to save. Heck, mine is a used Aqueon, which I got for a smokin' price.

QT: Setting up a QT is easy. Small tank from Petco. HOB filter. Couple pieces of PVC corners for fish to hide in. A heater. Done! Of course, you can skip QT and buy fully QT'd fish. You pay a premium, but you don't have to QT them.

Wife: Noise is almost non-existent if done properly. Same with any smell. The only thing that smells in my system is the protein skimmer. You can put a bag of carbon over the vent holes to take care of that issue. Cost can be as expensive as you are willing to go. Going slow helps with cost. Join local reef groups on FB. You'll see really cheap or sometimes free corals from these groups. Especially for new reefers. My wife enjoys my tanks. Especially when something is "swaying" in the water flow. So I throw torches and gonis (her fave) in there. I'm a stick guy, but hey, it keeps everyone happy.

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome! Look into pro star aquariums. They are quite a bit cheaper. Also look for used online. FB marketplace is your friend.

OP
OP
xWascallyWabbit

xWascallyWabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Here's my thoughts on your questions:

Size: go as big as you can fit and afford. Bigger tanks are generally easier to keep as the increased water volume helps with stability. Stability is key in this game.

Price: You can look for a used tank. Lots of deals to be had on the secondary market. You can use some of the other brands out there (Like Aqueon) to save. Heck, mine is a used Aqueon, which I got for a smokin' price.

QT: Setting up a QT is easy. Small tank from Petco. HOB filter. Couple pieces of PVC corners for fish to hide in. A heater. Done! Of course, you can skip QT and buy fully QT'd fish. You pay a premium, but you don't have to QT them.

Wife: Noise is almost non-existent if done properly. Same with any smell. The only thing that smells in my system is the protein skimmer. You can put a bag of carbon over the vent holes to take care of that issue. Cost can be as expensive as you are willing to go. Going slow helps with cost. Join local reef groups on FB. You'll see really cheap or sometimes free corals from these groups. Especially for new reefers. My wife enjoys my tanks. Especially when something is "swaying" in the water flow. So I throw torches and gonis (her fave) in there. I'm a stick guy, but hey, it keeps everyone happy.
Thank you for your response. I have officially set up the Waterbox Marine X 90.3. Currently waiting on some sand and rock in the mail. She is very excited by the fish so I think I'll let her handle the selection and naming of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back