First time new 275 gallon build

reefer616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my name is Kyle and I’m a Nashville native. I’ve always been intrigued by coral and have wanted a reef tank since I was a kid. I’ve had a koi pond for 10 years and I’m finally ready to start my dream reef tank.

Im looking at a 275 gallon 84x30x25
Considering Glass Cages and waterbox at the moment. 3 radion xr30’s, later adding some type of blade fills. Combination of mp40 and possibly maxpect gyre’s. Not sure which return pump, skimmer, control system (apex), to go with and if I want to go with roller mats and/or a refugium, calcium reactor, doser, etc…?

I know that slow and steady is the key but I am not sure where to start . I know that I need plenty of flow, good lighting, an established tank, good parameters, and occasional water changes (once established). I need dosing suggestions to make it as simple and automated as possible. Due to working long hours and occasional vacations.

I’d love to hear any input you guys have for a first time reefer starting a large tank.

Thanks much,
Kyle

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
firstly; welcome aboard the r2r board! hello from PA!

secondly; overall you will get mixed answers based on others' experiences, but my main suggestion is to comb through your local LFS or marketplace for any used equipment that has been well maintained. i'm unsure of what your limit or budget is, but doesn't hurt to save a few bucks here and there so you can put it towards fish or corals :)

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my name is Kyle and I’m a Nashville native. I’ve always been intrigued by coral and have wanted a reef tank since I was a kid. I’ve had a koi pond for 10 years and I’m finally ready to start my dream reef tank.

Im looking at a 275 gallon 84x30x25
Considering Glass Cages and waterbox at the moment. 3 radion xr30’s, later adding some type of blade fills. Combination of mp40 and possibly maxpect gyre’s. Not sure which return pump, skimmer, control system (apex), to go with and if I want to go with roller mats and/or a refugium, calcium reactor, doser, etc…?

I know that slow and steady is the key but I am not sure where to start . I know that I need plenty of flow, good lighting, an established tank, good parameters, and occasional water changes (once established). I need dosing suggestions to make it as simple and automated as possible. Due to working long hours and occasional vacations.

I’d love to hear any input you guys have for a first time reefer starting a large tank.

Thanks much,
Kyle
In my experience the best approach to starting a reef tank is dont look at the day you fill the tank with water as day 1. Day 1 is when you started researching and then acquiring equipment. Ive been piecing together everything I need for my next tank for the past 4 months. Maybe its just me but being patient and ensuring that Ive designed/picked out everything perfectly before getting water in the tank makes it much more enjoyable once the ball is rolling.

As far as what to get, like whats already been said you'll get more different opinions than you'll know what to do with. Things that were accepted as the golden rule 20 years ago are scoffed at now. you dont need anything more than compact flourescent lights, sand, rocks and dedication to keep a healthy reef tank

Research the biology and chemistry involved in a reef tank and the rest of the decisions you need to make to have a tank you will be happy with will just come together for ya.

Krak-A-Pat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first tank last week. Red Sea reefer 200. Found it new in the box from FB market place for a steal so I grabbed it. Really wanted the opus 300. Anyway, I was in the same boat. What I ultimately did was put everything I wanted/needed in a shopping cart on BRS. Then I started thinking about what I actually needed for the tank cycle. this will take a few months so I know I can skip on most things. refugium, skimmer, fleece roller etc. Doing this really calmed my nerves and saved me a few thousand bucks. But really all you need to start is going to be that sump a return pump and some bio media for the filter sock, and some test kits. keep it simple, and buy things as you need it. but what do I know, I'm just a noobs noob

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat as you, got back into reefing after 20 years and the game has changed. If expense isnt a worry and you want automation look into GHL Profilux 4 and all the associated gear. Many like apex because its well known and the main gear here in the states. Many have issue with them as well. GHL is more euro based so you will get mixed bag of reviews but everyone Ive talked to that owns a store or livelihood is based on selling coral all have said that GHL is dang good gear. As for where to start, you can hold off on lights and skimmer for the time being. When you cycle the tank you wont need either of those, you can even do without the roller mat or filter socks for the time being. I personally would go filter mat due to the long hours. Im in the same boat and changing socks is gonna become a chore, might as well do a roller mat and worry about changing that out every few months. At this point just get the tank in place, sort out what gear you want under the tank, work on your aquascaping and then plumb it up real nice. Take it slow, enjoy the process.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reefer616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the same boat as you, got back into reefing after 20 years and the game has changed. If expense isnt a worry and you want automation look into GHL Profilux 4 and all the associated gear. Many like apex because its well known and the main gear here in the states. Many have issue with them as well. GHL is more euro based so you will get mixed bag of reviews but everyone Ive talked to that owns a store or livelihood is based on selling coral all have said that GHL is dang good gear. As for where to start, you can hold off on lights and skimmer for the time being. When you cycle the tank you wont need either of those, you can even do without the roller mat or filter socks for the time being. I personally would go filter mat due to the long hours. Im in the same boat and changing socks is gonna become a chore, might as well do a roller mat and worry about changing that out every few months. At this point just get the tank in place, sort out what gear you want under the tank, work on your aquascaping and then plumb it up real nice. Take it slow, enjoy the process.
Thanks Bryce, I've considered the GHL products as well. I'll do some more research. What return pumps do you guys like? Any suggestions on aquascaping or rock?

OP
OP
R

reefer616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first tank last week. Red Sea reefer 200. Found it new in the box from FB market place for a steal so I grabbed it. Really wanted the opus 300. Anyway, I was in the same boat. What I ultimately did was put everything I wanted/needed in a shopping cart on BRS. Then I started thinking about what I actually needed for the tank cycle. this will take a few months so I know I can skip on most things. refugium, skimmer, fleece roller etc. Doing this really calmed my nerves and saved me a few thousand bucks. But really all you need to start is going to be that sump a return pump and some bio media for the filter sock, and some test kits. keep it simple, and buy things as you need it. but what do I know, I'm just a noobs noob
Appreciate the input! Definitely taking it slow and trying to overload with info.

OP
OP
R

reefer616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience the best approach to starting a reef tank is dont look at the day you fill the tank with water as day 1. Day 1 is when you started researching and then acquiring equipment. Ive been piecing together everything I need for my next tank for the past 4 months. Maybe its just me but being patient and ensuring that Ive designed/picked out everything perfectly before getting water in the tank makes it much more enjoyable once the ball is rolling.

As far as what to get, like whats already been said you'll get more different opinions than you'll know what to do with. Things that were accepted as the golden rule 20 years ago are scoffed at now. you dont need anything more than compact flourescent lights, sand, rocks and dedication to keep a healthy reef tank

Research the biology and chemistry involved in a reef tank and the rest of the decisions you need to make to have a tank you will be happy with will just come together for ya.
Appreciate it brother, I'm learning as much as possible everyday and I'm thankful for any tips and suggestions.

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bryce, I've considered the GHL products as well. I'll do some more research. What return pumps do you guys like? Any suggestions on aquascaping or rock?
Return pump I choose octopus reef varios 8....I have a backup ecotech M2 as well. I wanted pumps that could have enough umph to push water through two media reactors and a UV light all in-line. When not in use I just close the valve and slow down the DC pump to accommodate what I need.

As for scape work.....dont take this the wrong way, i never understood why people ask for peoples opinion on that. Each and everyone of us like our tanks to look a certain way and its gonna end up the way the individual likes how it looks. Some like big open arches, others like, negative space, some take concepts from planted tank world and scape with the trinity Mother Father Child concept. All I can add to that is make sure you add enough spaces for fish to hide, fish that feel safe come out more and eat which leads to healthier fish which means heathier tank. Also again this edges on opinion but I like to keep the scape work no higher than mid tank so you have open water up top for fish to swim, food disperses more rapidly, corals have more room to reach up for the light and become fuller. I got a buddy that got his rocks too close to the top and his Acros are table topping and shadowing the mid tank and lower tank now. Also think if you have the rocks too high your lights are gonna cook the coral if you want anything up top, if you raise the lights to remedy the PAR now you might not get the par values you need in the middle of the tank or bottom. Again lots of this is just personal babble. Long story short, take your time with your scape and really get into it vs just throwing a mound of rocks in a pile and calling it done cause you wanna just get water in there.

bryce.martin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on my scape off and on for about two months now, maybe a little more. I got tons of other things going on with the set up so this affords me the time to dry scape, absorb the idea, change or tweak it, etc etc

Attachments

• gfdhg.jpg
    gfdhg.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bfd.jpg
    bfd.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 21

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back