Sump Suggestions

reefer616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I've ordered a custom 84x30x25 ( 275 Gallon ) and I'm looking for some ideas for my sump. I'm looking to create a mixed reef with a decent amount of fish and invertebrates. I will start with filter socks and once the tank is established I'd like to ad a roller mat, I also want a large protein skimmer with room for kalkwasser/calcium reactor, possibly co2 scrubber, uv light etc. Does anyone have suggestions? I have seen some options from pro clear red flex, trigger systems, hmahli, etc...

This being my first build, I would like to buy something prebuilt with some bells and whistles.

CSAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Trigger systems triton sump. Not for the triton method I just liked the size of the refugium area and the extra large size for my sikimmer area. I'd say the only drawback I have seen is it seems to be either you get a good size refugium or a roller mat. But I don't see how both would fit well. I just run the filter socks. But amazing build quality with the acrylic and I felt like you got better value for price than some of the really high priced models.

I do highly recommend Pentair Aquatics UV. Probably my best piece of equipment but plan for how large they are. They are significantly bigger than the aqua ultraviolet's.

Skimmer I went with ReefOcto elite 150sss. Seems to be great.

Also running the Clearwater algae scrubber. I would say second best piece of equipment. Really helps keep the display tank clean.

Id say if you want a roller mat find a sump that is designed for one. But I do highly recommend the Pentair UV's and Clearwater scrubbers from experience.

tempImageI7VEv2.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefer616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Trigger systems triton sump. Not for the triton method I just liked the size of the refugium area and the extra large size for my sikimmer area. I'd say the only drawback I have seen is it seems to be either you get a good size refugium or a roller mat. But I don't see how both would fit well. I just run the filter socks. But amazing build quality with the acrylic and I felt like you got better value for price than some of the really high priced models.

I do highly recommend Pentair Aquatics UV. Probably my best piece of equipment but plan for how large they are. They are significantly bigger than the aqua ultraviolet's.

Skimmer I went with ReefOcto elite 150sss. Seems to be great.

Also running the Clearwater algae scrubber. I would say second best piece of equipment. Really helps keep the display tank clean.

Id say if you want a roller mat find a sump that is designed for one. But I do highly recommend the Pentair UV's and Clearwater scrubbers from experience.

tempImageI7VEv2.jpg
How large is your display tank?
I love the cleanliness of your build! I was curious if I would need the algae scrubber.

CSAqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display is only a 40 breeder. Mainly for size of the room. But I would say the system is about 60 gallons. That sump setup is probably enough for up to 75gal display at least. I went overkill. And I’ve noticed with the chaeto and fuge you probably wouldn’t need the scrubber.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back