First Timer - Red Sea Reefer 250

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody!

Total noob here. :D

I've always wanted a reef tank and finally decided to give it a shot this year. I spent the last 6 months or so researching and eventually decided on the Reefer 250. I just got it more or less constructed this week, though no water/LR/substrate added yet, so seemed like a good time to join the community since I still have tons of questions. I'll post some pictures in the newbie forum but here are the main components:

Red Sea Reefer 250, 2x Kessil A360WE, 2x MP40wQD, Vertex Omega 180i, Water Blaster 3000, Arctica 1/10HP Chiller, Bubble Magus T11 Dosing Pump, TLF PhosBan Reactor

I'm looking forward to learning more from everybody and sharing my experiences along the way.

Cheers,
DT Prime

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would welcome you but you're a sharks fan. :)

Jk. sounds like you got a lot of nice stuff. since you're dosing can we assume this will be an sps tank?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did yours come with the drip ato? I know several people who have replaced them because they weren't reliable/consistent. so just a head's up.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cromag08- ha, kings fan? Didn't want to use an empty tank for an avatar so figured it'd be a good place holder for now. SPS are definitely the goal, and yes it did come with the stock drip ato. I've seen a few people complain about failures with it and do plan on eventually moving to a 5 gallon out of sump ATO for less frequent filling too, preferably a reasonably easy DIY one. Thanks for the welcome.

Shep- thanks for the welcome, here's what I've got so far, still a ways to go!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the desert so I'm a yotes fan, and that's why I don't like the sharks - you guys usually beat us. lol.

Setup looks good, I like the white stand.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the desert so I'm a yotes fan, and that's why I don't like the sharks - you guys usually beat us. lol.

Setup looks good, I like the white stand.
Oh nice, I know a tiny touch of the yotes fan pain from auto drafting Mike Smith in fantasy last year haha. Want to see them do well down there though, got a bunch of good young forwards coming up at least!

And thanks! The white cabinent was part of the decision to go with the reefer.

Also thanks to everyone else for the welcomes, definitely planning on going slow!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Glad your here!

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started a thread in the new reefer forum if anybody wants to chime in! "First timer preparing to fill Reefer 250"

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Looks like you're off to a great start. Just remember slow and steady wins this race once you get water flowing.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Looks like you're off to a great start. Just remember slow and steady wins this race once you get water flowing.
Thanks, the goal is a great end product vs. rushing to get something in there just to then watch it die. Started another thread in the new reefer section called "First timer preparing to fill Reefer 250" if you wanna drop some knowledge on me!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back